Protein % of total caloric intake

Lynn C.
on 11/7/07 12:49 am - Spring, TX
At the OH event in San Antonio, I learned that protein intake should respresent 60-70% of total caloric intake each day.  I am 15 weeks post op and am consuming 500-600 calories per day with protein averaging 50% of total, or roughly 70 grams per day.  I am really struggling to get to 60-70% of calories from protein without eliminating vegetables altogether.  I am eating 3 meals per day now, but every time I add a protein supplement as a 4th meal I stop loosing weight.  What am I doing wrong?
JeanneB_RD
on 11/7/07 4:27 am
What does your protein supplement consist of? Maybe there are hidden calories which are contributing too many calories for the day? That's my first question.  I would highly recommend eating 5 small meals/day rather then 3 meals.  This helps keep your metabolism stoked (similar to a fire) and it helps avoid periods of extreme hunger. Have you thought of adding low fat cheese to your vegetables? How has your exercise been?
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Lynn C.
on 11/7/07 5:31 am - Spring, TX
When I use a protein supplement (which is very rare these days), I typically drink 3oz New-Whey liquid protein that is 176 calories and contains 42g protein usually at bedtime.  Occasionaly between dinner and bedtime, I use Nectar whey protein powder in my Crystal Light which is 90 calories and contains 23g protein. I guess I'm trying to find a meal plan that gets me 60-70% from protein, but also allows me to have vegetables regularly as well as occasional fruit and grains.  I currently eat 1/2 C egg beaters with 1/4 C fat free cheese, 3/4 C fat-free cottage cheese with 1/4 C berries, or fat-free low-carb yogurt for breakfast, which usually gives me 12-21g protein.  If I am in desparate need of fiber I will have all bran or protein cereal with skim milk.  For lunch I usually have left over protein from dinner the night before, fat-free deli ham on low carb tortilla with mustard, tuna fish with low-fat mayo or mustard, canned chicken with low-fat mayo or mustard, or salad with grilled chicken and fat free or light dressing, which uaually give me 18-24g protein.  For dinner it's usually 4 ounces of chicken, turkey, pork tenderloin, or fish and 1/2 to 1 cup of vegetables.  I occasionally have beef (once every couple of weeks).  This usually provides 18-35 g protein, depending on my choices.   Overall (without any protein supplement), my current eating plan usually averages 500-600 calaries per day and 60-80 grams of protein (50-60%) plus I average 70 oz water and take bariatric multi vitamins, calcium citrate, B12, and iron supplements.  Of course now my hair is falling out, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Regarding exercise-- I usually get one hour per day 4-6 days per week.  My workouts include 20 minutes on the eliptical and 40 minutes resistance training at progressive levels of intensity 2-3 days per week, and I walk two or three miles on the other days.   I understand the 5 small meals per day, but it's just not a realistic schedule for me.  I have a hard enough time planning 3 meals and getting one packed for work.  Then with 5 meals it becomes more difficult to fit in sufficient fluid intake. Should I be concerned with my current protein % of total caloric intake?
MelaniaB_RD
on 11/7/07 12:58 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Lynn, I would love to see the literature that recommends a WLS surgery patient consume 60-70% of their total calories from protein.  Do you have the references for this?  This would leave little room for complex carbohydrates and fat.  As a comparison, recommendations for protein intake for generally healthy individuals is 15-20% of total calories, ~ 50-55% carbohydrate and <30% from fat.   Although surgeons and dietitians may have very different ideas of the percentage of calories for protein, carb and fat, much of the literature recommends a WLS patient consume 30-35% of total calories from protein, 45-50% carbohydrates and 20-25% from heart healthy fats.   Since you are eating 50% of your calories from protein, this leaves little room for complex carbs such as fruits, vegetables,whole grain bread, brown rice, etc. which provide vitamins, minerals and fiber.  I would NOT make it a goal to consume 60-70% of your calories from protein.  
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active