reactive hypoglycemia

~ Stylz ~
on 11/7/07 3:11 am - North of Boston, MA
Recently I've developed reactive hypoglycemia.  At first I didn't know what it was, neither did the doctors.  After reading about it on the graduate board and googling it, the symptoms were similar.  I bought a glucose reader and "tested" myself that weekend with high GI foods.  Sure enough, 1.5-2 hrs later I would start shaking, become incoherant and even passed out twice after testing pretzels.  My blood sugar would drop from normal to lower than 50 within that time. I started reading about the GI which spins my head!  Learning that certain breads are better for you than whole wheat or how you can lower the GI in foods by adding a second food to balance or lower the gi...  The whole thing confuses the heck out of me!  Its so frustrating not knowing how to make the problem better because the people I feel who should know about this problem (the clinic I belong to) doesn't know what to do as they haven't had patients with this problem before. I now find myself eating every 3 hours, if I don't I start to "crash" (when your blood sugar drops).  I eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks sometimes a snack is just a tablespoon or 2 of peanut butter, other times a carb and protein, I've even had to wake up at night and eat peanut butter to stabolize my blood sugar.  I have natural peanut butter in every place I am (including in my car and purse) to make sure its available if a crash happens...  very discouraging learning about this when there isn't much insight on it. Do you have any knowledge on reactive hypoglycemia?  comparing it to regular hypoglycemia the differences would be?  Is there any medical testing that could be done other than with glucose, (I don't eat sugar and would dump by doing the glucose test)?  Any books you can recommend worth reading?   thanks in advance for your help  :)

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

JeanneB_RD
on 11/7/07 5:05 am
Hi,  Well, it sounds like you've had your hands full dealing with this unique issue. There is some controversy regarding definitions and ways to treat RH vs. regular hypoglycemia. RH describes reoccurent episodes of hypoglycemia usually 2-4 after a high carboydrate meal. Excessive insulin is released which causes your 'crashing' episodes. Diagnosing RH has been difficult due to multiple definitions by healthcare professionals.  The good news is that you do have symptoms. Some people have no idea when their blood sugars go too low and insulin way too high.  So, YES...GI can be confusing, however sticking with one reference may be of more help. I would recommend using the internet as your GI source to save on money (purchasing books). Truly, once you learn the lower GI foods it won't be as duanting. Try the following, which you have probably already been doing (taken from wikimedia).
  • Eat small meals and snacks about every 3 hours.
  • Exercise regularly.
  • Eat a variety of foods, including meat, poultry, fish, or non-meat sources of protein, foods such as whole-grain bread, fruits, vegetables, and dairy products.
  • Choose high-fiber foods and food with a moderate-to-low glycemic index.
  • Avoid or limit foods high in sugar, especially on an empty stomach.
  • Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and highly starchy foods such as white rice, potatoes, corn, and popcorn (all very high on the glycemic index).
  • Adding soluble fibers (e.g., 5 to 10 grams of hemicellulose, pectin, or guar gum) to a meal may help to relieve symptoms, especially in dumping syndrome. [3]

There are 2 main types of fiber....soluble and insoluble. Adding soluber fibers will help slow down digestion. Soluble fibers dissolve in water so that's an easy way to keep them straight. For example does celery dissolve in water? NO, so it's an insoluble fiber. Does oatmeal dissolve in water? YES so it's a soluble fiber.  In addition, further testing is really NOT recommended b/c of your severe symptoms. You now know you have it, so the best thing to do is to prevent the crashes which you're doing. I hope this helps clear up some confusion?! Good luck!!

Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
~ Stylz ~
on 11/8/07 1:00 am - North of Boston, MA
thanks for the information, I understand fiber will slow down digestion, but will that help with the "crashes" as well?

~Stylz~  
post - op 261.2/current 124.2/goal 125

~~~  down 137 pounds  ~~~

LESS HALF THE PERSON I USE TO BE 

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

JeanneB_RD
on 11/8/07 2:05 am
Absolutey. I apologize. I should have explained further. Fiber will slow down how quickly glucose (sugar) is absorbed into the blood stream. It's similar to protein and fat. It will definitely help prevent or at least ward off the crashes.
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
josully
on 11/8/07 2:28 pm - San Juan Capistrano, CA
I have seen this issue popping up here & there with those who are down the road from surgery. Could Reactive Hypo become a more common long term complication of  WLS? Do you know how often this occurs? Thanks, Jo
Most Active