easy protein please!(vegetarian)

JACKIESMOM
on 11/3/07 11:19 am - FL
I read all these people talk about "not being able to get in their protein". Most people say they can't stomache their protein shakes. So what are protein pills ? do they work.? I am a vegetarian and still pre-op. i worry about not getitng in enough protein. I know I do not get enough now so I worry that it will be even harder after surgery. I am especially concerned of loosing hair. I already have very thin hair and I think my diet might be some of the cause. Please help with any advice you have,vegetarian or not.

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/07 1:04 pm - Hudson, FL

Don't rule out your protein shakes, all people are different. Plus my attitude is that its very hard in the beginning to do everything right.  Just do the best you can.  From what I have heard about the protein pills the malabsorption thing is a problem and you have to take so many it is not worth the time. Protein is in so many things like cottage cheese, nuts, beans, and so many flavors of protein shakes. Good luck with all your endeavors!!!!!

JACKIESMOM
on 11/3/07 1:19 pm - FL
thanks. i hope i can handle it. i am hoping that if my mind knows i cant have carbs and have to eat protein,i will find a way.(i hope) thanks again

DanielleH_RD
on 11/4/07 12:54 pm - CA
If you already suspect you are not getting much protein, I strongly recommend you begin tracking you diet now, pre-op, so you can get an idea of how much you get. Keep a diet diary, plug it in to one of the on-line trackers, and get a clear idea of where you are.  It is very difficult to guess the adequacy of your intake if you don't have something to compare it to. Start that first thing tomorrow! Didn't we talk about this before? Did you look into tofu, tempeh, and soy proteins? You are worrying about not liking the protein supplements too soon!  You may find one you absolutely love! For now, concentrate on getting a good idea of how much protein you currently get.  This will help you to gauge the changes you will need to make post-op. Good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

JACKIESMOM
on 11/4/07 9:48 pm - FL
WHAT ARESOME GOOD ONLINE TRACKERS? I AM GOING TO START ADDING MORE PROTEIN TO MY DIET NOW. THANKS

Pam T.
on 11/9/07 2:30 am - Saginaw, MI
I use www.fitday.com.   But you could also check out www.nutridiary.com or www.sparkspeople.com or www.thedailyplate.com or just do a Google searc for Calorie Tracker for some other options. I really like www.dietfacts.com to look up nutrional values in restaurant foods - they don't have a tracking feature for your daily intake, but they have a lot of foods listed that aren't listed on the other sites.   Good luck, Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

UNJURY
on 11/5/07 1:50 am - Sterling, VA
Hi Jackiesmom If you are not vegan, you might like the shakes which use only whey protein.\ Kind regards Jerome UNJURY Protein
Most Active