Vitamin Questions...

Brandi F.
on 11/2/07 6:04 pm - Hamburg, PA

Which vitamins can one take too much of? I don't want to OD!  I've heard Vit. C can help Iron absorb better. Should I take additional Vit. C or is the Vit. C in my multivitamin enough?

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

DanielleH_RD
on 11/4/07 12:38 pm - CA
The water soluble vitamins - Vit C, B1(thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin)*, folate, B6 (pyridoxine), pantothenic acid, biotin, ans B12 (cyanocobalmin) are all unlikely to ever reach toxic levels. These vitamins are absorbed as needed and readily removed from your body via the urine (providing you have normal kidney function) I put a star by niacin - if you take too much of that you will be extremely uncomfortable, but toxicity is still rare. The fat soluble vitamins are another story.  Many post WLS add extras of these vitamins to counter the malabsorption (especially with biliopancreatic or duodenal switch) They are Vits A, D, E, and K.  These vitamins are stored in your fat and liver - they CAN reach toxic levels.  There are upper limits to how much of these you should take.  Vitamin D is the most toxic of all the vitamins and excesses can be dangerous - even deadly.  Vitamin K is important for proper clotting and should not be supplemented unless ordered by a physician. That gives you an overview - and I didn't talk about minerals at all! As far as vitamin C & iron.  It is not a bad idea to have vitamin C at the same time as iron.  I think an additional C supplement is a good idea , the amount in most multivitamins is minimal.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Brandi F.
on 11/6/07 11:27 am - Hamburg, PA
Thank-you, Danielle, I appreciate your help. How much additional Vit. C should I take along with my iron? Is there anything else that would be a benefitial additive to my vitamin regime?  Daily, I take:  2 chewable Flintstones Complete 3 Citracal Creamy Bites and 1 (325 mg) Ferrous Fumarate Iron

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

Most Active