Iron Supplement

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/07 1:47 pm - San Juan Capistrano, CA
RNY on 07/11/07 with
Does an Iron supplement contribute to constipation?   I'm getting 60+ grams of protein & drinking 64 oz water daily.   I exercise 2x a week.  Feel great, but I get constipated as soon as I go one or two days with eating prunes & I'm SOOOOO tired of prunes.   It seems like a few years ago I was able to buy an iron supplement that had something added to prevent constipation, but can't seem to find it now.  Any suggestions? 
Robin W.
on 11/2/07 12:04 am - Franklin, OH

It might not work for everyone but GREEN TEA helps keep me regular.  Good Luck,  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

DanielleH_RD
on 11/2/07 8:13 am - CA
Ah, wonderful prunes.  There is actually a compound in prunes that stimulates the movement of the muscles in your intestines (peristalsis).  They really work! I know there are iron supplements that have a stool softener mixed in - they are often recommended in pregnancy.  The brand is Ferro-sequels. Iron comes in many different forms.  Anyone who has spent any time on the is board has probably seen posts on the different calciums (citrate, carbonate, etc) - well iron is the same. The most common iron supplement is iron sulfate (Feosol, Slow Fe) but there is also iron gluconate and fumerate.  Many people report fewer constipating side effects with iron fumerate - so that may be worth a try. I would also suggest you consider a daily fiber supplement to help out.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Brandi F.
on 11/2/07 4:57 pm - Hamburg, PA
My constipation subsided since I've been using Benefiber.  I'm so glad...it's so uncomfortable when you CAN'T

Lap RNY on 8-21-07
I'm 5'2'', I'm 34 years old, and I have 175 pounds to lose!!

Most Active