Raisins???

Cagair
on 11/1/07 7:32 am - Raleigh, NC

Ok.. so if anyone read one of my posts prior, I am working on learning to eat new things with fruits and veggies that I didn't eat before surgery.  But one thing I LOVE!! and always have are raisins.  However I have steered away from those scrumptious nibblets because I read the box and almost passed out when I saw that a single serving box has 30g of sugar!! Almost the same with dried cranberries? This are not a good idea to have are they?

Jenn

Pre-Surgery (08/01/07):  467.5
Surgery Day(08/30/07):  445
09/15/09: 237

JeanneB_RD
on 11/1/07 9:12 am
You got it. They are extremely concentrated in natural sugar. Since they are 'natural' sugar I usually don't like to discourage them, however they may contribute to dumping. Everyone is different so if other's have had no trouble please speak up.  In addition I'm a volume kind of gal. I'd rather have a cup of melon vs a tablespoon of raisins. More enjoyment for me with the longer it takes to eat! Keep in mind too that it's crucial to stick to the serving size otherwise excess calories equals weight gain!  Good luck with your goal of eating more fruits and veggies! 
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active