Condiments

mom2n8
on 11/1/07 6:25 am - Wood River, IL
I'm almost 1 month post op and am wondering when can I start having condiments like mustard and salad dressing? What should I be watching for?

Next week my Nutritional Plan says I can have lettuce but I don't see anything about salad dressing.
DanielleH_RD
on 11/1/07 1:08 pm - CA
Oh yeah, salad dressing.  #1 - make sure you do ok with the lettuce.  Some poeple don't, many people do. For salad dressing, it's still a good idea to stick with the lower fat (or fat free) types, since your goal is weight  loss.  A lot of people enjoy the salad sprays which pack a lot of flavor into a small amount.  I think they're worth a try. Condiments - I've never given any restrictions on those.  Usually they are used in small amounts to flavor food.  When you have to chew,chew,chew the condiment often gets lost (or you add more to make the chewing bearable).  Most condiments are high in sodium if you have any restriction on salt.  I encourage use of herbs to flavor food - fresh if possible.  Mayo and many "dressings" are high in fat, so watch your portions. Hope this gets you started!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active