Caloric Intake

Carissima
on 11/1/07 4:17 am - Greenville, SC
RNY on 03/06/07 with
Good Afternoon! This seems to be a common question, but I still need to ask.  I tried to ask my nutritionist, but she gave me an ounce guideline for meals, not a caloric guideline.  I would like to know about how many calories I should be consuming a day.  I had my surgery in March 07.  I dance 4 nights a week, intense cardio (Monday - 3 hours, Tuesday - 1.5 hours, Wednesday - 2 hours, Thursday - 3 hours).  I also try to walk on my off days.  I do try to eat well, but I am not sure what level I should be at for calories.  I have already been told to increase my protein, I am at about 60 g a day right now, and my water, but I don't know what else to do because I don't know what other nutritional guidelines there are.  I know that each surgeon is different, but I don't like just going by how many oz of food I am eating.  I am way too much a control freak to just go by that.  Thank you for any assistance you can provide. Hugs, Cynthia
Official Prez of the 200 club.  The place to be when you are waiting to see a 1. 

Congrats to all of our Former Members.  We love you.

I am stealing this idea!  My weight on Jupiter: 508.2, Mars: 81, and the Sun: 5820.4

sweetpea25
on 11/1/07 6:03 am - The beautiful state of, AL
Hi Cynthia! I do know the more you exercise the more you need to take in.  I'm 3 months out and I typicallly get around 900 to 1000 calories per day.  I haven't exercised like I should due to weather conditions (poor excuse) but when I DO I will up my calories.  I believe Terri tries to take in about 3000 per day.  It's kind of ridiculous that your NUT won't give you a specific or an average.  Since I'm not a professional I wouldn't even try to guesstimate.  I do know that if you are exercising as much as you are that you should need a bit more than those that don't.  When I worked out daily, I probably ate 2500 per day.  But that was 100 years ago! ;) I'll be very interested to see what advice you receive from the professionals.  I am LOVING this area of OH.  It is extremely helpful! TTYL Cynthia
Cagair
on 11/1/07 7:43 am - Raleigh, NC
Thank you for posting this question. I am 8 weeks post op and I asked my NUT what the average calorie intake I should consume is, the average fat %, average sat fat %, avg sugar %, etc etc. etc. I wanted to make sure I was staying under everything to know what to expect.  I created an excel spreadsheet with all the colums and printed it into a binder so I can keep track daily - more or less to get use to it so, long term I can start recognizing things easier.  I was told I shouldn't even concern myself with these things.  But I find I need to know. So now I've been told I'm obsessing.
Jenn

Pre-Surgery (08/01/07):  467.5
Surgery Day(08/30/07):  445
09/15/09: 237

Most Active