how do you feel about the liquid vite C from EMERGEN C

kindredspirit fl
on 10/31/07 8:37 am - islander, FL
THERE IS A WHOLE LINE NOW THAT THEY OFFER.FROM JOINT HEALTH TO BONE HEALTH AS A CALCIUM AND MINERAL SUP.HOW DO YOU LIKE THIS BRAND AND WOULD IT BE A GOOD CHOICE FOR POST WLS PATIENTS?

kindred spirits

DanielleH_RD
on 11/2/07 9:07 am - CA
I had to look up their products to answer you. I wasn't sure if they had a new liquid out - you are talking about the powders that you mix into water, right? Well, I'm not comfortable "endorsing" any product - I'm a source of info, not a salesperson.  I will share some thoughts and let you make your own decision. Fizzy vitamins are not new.  In other countries, this type of product is relatively common.  When I was a kid in Germany, we had fizzy vitamins.  I was sad when we moved to the US and I didn't get those anymore... My feelings aside, there are those who feel that it is useful to sometimes change the "route" or "type" of vitamin you use in order to "trick" your body into absorbing more.  I don't know of any solid research on this, but it is a school of thought out there and likely not harmful to do this.  This would mean that if you always take calcium carbonate pill, you might switch to a chewable calcium citrate.  If you always take a vitamin C pill, you switch to a fizzy vitamin C.  My bias with this thinking is that it all goes into the same intestine for absorption - so how tricky can you be... The emergenC products have many different compounds in them.  I wouldn't want to begin to go into the science that exists to make claims for "bone health" or "heart health". I can tell you that these products have 1000 mg of Vitamin C per dose, some B6, B12, folate, zinc, potassium.  I've said this before that your body only absorbs about 125 mg of Vitamin C at a time.  It is better to take smaller doses of vitamin C throughout the day to maximize absorption.  If you take more of these nutrients than you can absorb at a time, you are simply producing more expensive urine. Other than that, the ones I have tried taste good.  If you tolerate them fine and this form of vitamin is easier for you to be consistent with your supplement taking - then go for it!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

deb_m
on 11/2/07 9:42 am - Sanford, NC

Danielle, You said that our bodies only absorb about 125 mg of Vitamin C at a time.  Is this the case for all people, for only for Post-Op WLS patients? 

Deb
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker 

DanielleH_RD
on 11/2/07 1:17 pm - CA
It is the case for all people.  Actually it is estimated to be closer to 65 mg at a time - I took the higher estimated range (so it doesn't sound so bad). With the malabsorption of most WLS, it is common to recommend more of a vitamin with an expectation that a percentage of it will be malabsorbed.  Vitamin C is reasonably well absorbed post WLS - no need to have thousands of milligrams each day.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active