lap band and forcing your self to eat...

dawn_needs_to_loos
e

on 10/30/07 5:45 am - KY
  HI! I had lapband surgery on sept 14th and I rarely get hungry. I am being told that I need to make myself eat every four hours, is this true? aren't we defeating the puropse of our band that way?? and I can't get in 64 ounces of liquid if  I try. Im so full that I feel ill if  I get the whole 64 in.. what do I do??? Thanks!! dawn

First 80.5 pounds lost with 3cc's in a 14 ccband now at 7cc's in 14cc band

DanielleH_RD
on 10/31/07 8:07 am - CA
Your lap band is designed to reduce the amount that you eat - sounds like that part is working. Your lap band is not designed to have you stop eating. Your body can burn its stored energy (fat), but your body cannot create protein.  In order to get protein your body will need to digest its own muscles, organs, etc.  Without protein your immune function will down-regulate (not good during this coming flu season). I can paint an ugly picture of why you want to try and eat, if you want me to. Ultimately, you made a deal to work the program for lap-band.  You were told, and you agreed, to try and eat every 4 hours, get your protein first, and try to get in 64 oz of fluid a day. So where does the question really lie? Do you want me to tell you it's ok to do whatever you want? I say, try.  If you are really having problems think about sharing them with your physician. I'd bet there are others that have had the same problems - and OH is a great resource to talk to others who have had the same or similar experiences to you. Good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active