Zinc Supplementation

HouseRD
on 10/30/07 4:11 am

What is the range of mg recommended for zinc supplements? Do you think 100mg is too high to take everyday? Are most bariatric surgeons recommending a zinc supplement??

MelaniaB_RD
on 10/31/07 1:11 am, edited 10/31/07 5:03 am - Costa Mesa, CA

Need clarification on this...are you talking about the actual tablet dose of zinc i.e. (220 mg of zinc sulfate) or elemental zinc?  Also what type of zinc is it i.e. (zinc sulfate, zinc gluconate, etc)? Thanks!

Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
HouseRD
on 10/31/07 2:41 am

We were considering recommending a 100mg tablet of Chelated Zinc (a GNC brand) and I was curious what other bariatric facilities are recommending to their patients?  Thanks for your time!

Heather S.
on 10/31/07 8:48 am - Southern, NJ
I'm using Zinc Gluconate...would you give a recommendation for it as well?  I'm pre-surgery for another week. Heather

Highest
~Hospital Discharge~Current~
Goal 
   293  ~  (11/9/07) 286  ~  193 ~ 140
                   Height: 5'-6"  Age: 35

sarard
on 10/31/07 12:45 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Zinc is most commonly found as zinc sulfate (ZnSO4).  The dosing for ZnSO4 is 220 mg/day.  I've worked with 5 different bariatric surgeons over the past 6 years and none of them required their clients to take zinc.  Now, of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't take zinc.  They just didn't recommend it, and neither did I.  Hopefully some people will comment if they are required to take zinc or not to give you a better answer to that question.  A zinc deficiency is known to promote hair loss, so it wouldn't surprise me if doctors are recommending it; however, it will only help with hair loss if, in fact,  you are deficient.  Zinc is also commonly used in wound healing - it promotes collagen formation for wound healing.   Again, I wouldn't be surprised if surgeons are recommending it post-operatively for wound healing.  In my opinion, probably not a supplement you need to take everyday.  At the most, 2 weeks post operatively.  Educate me if I'm wrong ...... Before starting any supplement, check with your doctor.  As with many supplements, there can be detrimental effects.  For example, excessive use of zinc can lead to a copper deficiency - of course, that is with excessive use.  Bottom line, no matter what supplement you take, be careful & be sure to inform your doctor and dietitian. 
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Heather S.
on 10/31/07 9:42 pm - Southern, NJ
The nurse that heads up my nutrition program said their protocol is to supplement zinc 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks post surgery.  They suggest a HUGE amount, and it's as you say...to promote wound healing (the hair loss thing is a bonus I guess!)  They suggest 200-220mg/day!  Like I mentioned...this is only for 4 weeks though and then they don't want you to supplement it at all (other than what's in your multivitamin).  Also during that 4 week pre and post time they suggest supplementing with Vitamin C 500 mg 1-2x/day. FYI, the nurse I mentioned works for one of the local hospitals and heads their WLS care program.  She's been working with WLS patients for 7 years with amazing results...she seems to have good grasp of what we really go through long-term w/ this surgery...so I'm trusting her advice. Hope that helps.  Heather

Highest
~Hospital Discharge~Current~
Goal 
   293  ~  (11/9/07) 286  ~  193 ~ 140
                   Height: 5'-6"  Age: 35

sarard
on 11/1/07 12:43 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Makes sense. Vitamin C also works in the body to assist collagen in forming good bonds. Thanks for sharing.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
DanielleH_RD
on 11/2/07 8:45 am - CA
My 2 cents... A dose of 220 mg zinc sounds huge - we often recommend it twice a day when zinc deficiency is suspected or if needs are high.  220 mg zinc sulfate is still only 15 mg elemental zinc.  Just for comparison sake, the RDI is 11 mg and recommended upper limit (UL) is 40 mg. Zinc interferes with other nutrients so it should be taken separately from copper, iron, & calcium supplements (it doesn't appear to interfere with food sources of these nutrients) as well as high fiber (it gets lost & bound up).  Zinc can also cause stomach upset, so it's best taken with food. Zinc deficiency is associated with hair loss and wound healing, but it can also cause changes in taste acuity.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active