too few calories?

suesanb
on 10/30/07 6:25 am - Portland, OR
What is really going to happen if I don't get enough calories in.  As long as I am getting in protein and taking my supplements (vitamins) I don't think I will become malnourished. 

I have heard people say it will stop your weight loss but that really doesn't make sense to me. I mean it is really after all calories in vs. calories out right? I mean if starvation mode kept you from losing weight then people in third world countries would be fat.  

There is just no way I can get all the calories in. I am not supposed to use protein shakes according to my Nut but I can only about 300-400 calories a day. So I want to know what is really going to happen if I don't get all the calories in.

I have also been wondering about the malabsorption. I know that my doctor said it would keep my from absorbing some vitamins well but does it also keep me from absorbing calories and if so how much % of what I eat or of what things?
NancyJ
on 10/30/07 6:50 am - Porterville, CA
You posted that your Nut sai not to take Protein Shakes.  Does she mean Slim Fast or something like that?  I have been on a Protein Supplement since the day after my surgery.  My doctor started me on 75 grams a day and I now take 50 grams daily.  I also eat my meals, so the protein is in conjunction with the food.  I don't know how you can get in enough protein by just eating alone.  I'm 15 months out and when I tried to stop taking the protein my hair started falling out again.  So I'm back on it until my Doc tells me different, and I don't see him until next July.

Beginning Weight: 332
Goal Weight: 165
Current Weight: 135
Lowest Weight: 128 (to low for me)
Height: 5'8"

suesanb
on 10/30/07 7:32 am - Portland, OR
She said to stop the shakes and get the protein from food. I just don't understand how that is going to work.
NancyJ
on 10/30/07 7:38 am - Porterville, CA
Please check the post I posted above this one.  'Should you take Protein Shakes" I think you will find your answer there.  I would continue the shakes if I were you.  After all its your organs and even if it takes a little longer to reach you goal at least you will reach it healthy!

Beginning Weight: 332
Goal Weight: 165
Current Weight: 135
Lowest Weight: 128 (to low for me)
Height: 5'8"

Robin W.
on 10/31/07 12:04 am - Franklin, OH
As far as the protein shakes goes my doc NEVER has people use them. I just did my own research and did them myself. I know each doc is different and each person is different but sometimes you just have to do what you feel is RIGHT FOR YOU.  My doc also states that pop/soda/ or caffeine in any amouts is ok.  Again I just did my own research and haven't had any pop/soda since October 2003. I do drink green tea which has caffeine but not as much as other drinks.  Read the boards, get advice do you own research listen to you doc and then do what you think is best for YOU.  Good Luck,  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

Most Active