OK - Fruits & Veggie Carbs...what's the story??/

IrishIze
on 10/30/07 4:13 am, edited 10/30/07 4:48 am - NJ
I had my surgery in July 2004 and have done pretty well.  I've had some weight gain, but try to stay on top of things and not get above a certain weight. I still have questions about fruit and veggie carbs.  I went to a seminar and the speaker said she doesn't even count the carbs that are in fruits and veggies, and she makes sure to get in 3-4 one cup servings per day.  I have always steered away from fruits and veggies because when I logged them into fitday.com, the carbs were way over what I was told to stay below.  I've also heard  the same thing about breads.  I never eat bread - even multi-grain because of the carbs (although I do love Herr's Whole Grain pretzels on occasion...)  .  Someone told me it's unhealthy not to eat whole grains. Anyone have the definitive answer....or at least an educated guess?
Irish......  

DanielleH_RD
on 10/31/07 1:57 am - CA
The "no" carb phenomenon baffles me. Your body's preferential source of energy is glucose, which comes from carbohydrates.  I understand seeking to reduce the amount of sugar that you eat - It's no secret that Americans consume far too much sugar. (Happy Halloween, everyone!) But your body NEEDS the nutrients that fruits, vegetables, and whole grains provide.  No vitamin can substitute for the natural source of nutrients. Does this help?
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Kerri
on 10/30/07 10:01 am - CO
I think the key to any diet is to eat a well balanced diet.  Carbs are not the devil.  In fact you should be getting in good carbs which come from fruits and vegetables and whole grains.  Without these carbs, you can end up doing damage to your body.  Try doing a search online about good carbs and the effect they have on the body.  I had my surgery in march of 2005 and like you I have gained a little but I never go above a certain weight.  However, I do eat fruits and veggies.  At least 6 servings a day and usually more than that.  I don't eat a lot of bread just because it still doesn't agree with me all that well, but I do eat things like oatmeal and other such things that have whole grains in them.  I also eat foods high in fiber.  Fiber is a carb but it contains no calories.  Just remember that carbs and proteins have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram.  Anything you body doesn't burn will be stored whether it comes from protein, fat, or carbs.     Kerri
Most Active