hypercalcemia

debramck
on 10/30/07 3:03 am - Moscow, TX
I am 2 years out of surgery and weigh 118lbs at 5'4".  I haven't been taking calcium, b12, or iron for over a year because all of these levels are too high when my levels are checked.  I get nervous though when I read all of the posts about what happens when these levels get too low.  If your calcium and b12 are too high, do you supplement or not.
sarard
on 10/30/07 3:09 am - Costa Mesa, CA
A high B12 (how high is it?), is not of great concern. The high calcium, however, is. What does your doctor say & was it high prior to surgery?
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
sarard
on 10/30/07 3:09 am - Costa Mesa, CA
how high is the calcium?
Registered Dietitian
debramck
on 10/30/07 3:42 am - Moscow, TX
calcium 10.6 b12 -1814 rbc - 5.57
sarard
on 10/30/07 5:47 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi, Calcium of 10.6 is relatively normal. When someone has a extreme hypercalcemia (around 14-17.0) our concern is that the parathyroid gland is making too much parathyroid hormone. This is not related to RNY, but is not painful or anything, so sometimes in our screening of patients for WLS, we find it. That's why I was a bit concerned. Your calcium is pretty close to normal (it varies from lab to lab, but normal is usually around 10.5). My guess is that you didn't drink as much water as you usually do the day your blood was drawn. Sometimes slight dehydration can falsely elevate your labs. Your B12, although high, is pretty normal for someone taking B12 supplements. This shows me that you are taking your supplements. B12 is not toxic in the body, so, there is not a real concern with this lab. What I can tell you, if you are taking your B12 daily, you can probably go to every other day or every third day. Your body is holding onto the B12 very nicely. Not everyone is as lucky as you. :)
Registered Dietitian
Most Active