How much protein

Andrea R.
on 10/29/07 8:50 pm - Jersey Shore, PA
Good Morning, I am almost 3 months out and was wondering does the amount of protein needed per day ever change?  ex: as we age or reach goal?.. I was told 70-80 for me...  Thanks, Andrea

DanielleH_RD
on 10/30/07 1:05 am - CA
Sure, your needs will change over time.  Does anything ever stay the same? Protein needs are highest in the early stages post-op for a few reasons: - your body is actively healing - You have limited intake and protein must come from the outside to spare your organs & muscles - You may be protein deficient (common problem pre-op) In time, you will lose weight which will change your protein needs.  You may gain muscle with your rigorous exercise program which will change your protein needs.  You will age, which will change your protein needs.  Nutrition over your lifespan is a dynamic thing - so keep an RD in your kardex to help you navigate your personal needs over time.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Andrea R.
on 10/30/07 8:36 pm - Jersey Shore, PA
Thanks Danielle, I have 2 great RD's in the hospital that I work.. They are fabulous people!  I figured as much with the changes.. thanks for the info

Most Active