gastric bypass and vegeterainism

jen steffens
on 10/29/07 6:12 am - Sacramento, CA
so i have a important question. i had surgery about 2 and a half years ago, and have done really well. i recently switched to a vegetarian diet, due to personal choice, and better health benefits. however, i was wondering how to still get the protein i know i still need, and has anyone else switched to a veg diet? or do they have any suggestions as far as advice, or meal options? any help with this will be GREATLY apreciated!!!! :) THANK YOU!!! ~jen
(deactivated member)
on 10/29/07 7:24 am - 5K from Everywhere, MN
Beans and rice are a complete protein, tofu can be done all kinds of tasty ways - though you need to read the label and evaluate fat content as certain kinds are higher than others, nuts - peanut butters (again, with an eye to the fat content), certain whole grain cereals can be good sources of protein as well... There are all kinds of options - it kind of depends on "how far" you're going - vegan? or will you still be taking in some dairy? etc, etc, etc.... I was vegan for a while a few years ago, and post-op I'm leaning toward a largely veggie diet, with occasional fish and dairy.  I just couldn't give up dairy cold turkey - too easy and tasty of a protein boost for me personally... Fave veggie quick meals:  beans and rice, quinoa and chick pea pilaf, (quinoa is a grain that's high in protein, texture is like rice), asian veggie and tofu stir fry with peanuts for crunch, simple veggie sandwich on oatmeal/whole grain bread with fancy mustard - hard to beat that! :) Good luck in collecting ideas!
jen steffens
on 10/29/07 7:50 am - Sacramento, CA

THANKS for all the info...i really appreciate it!!! the only thing i can't do is rice. my doctor told me that it will stretch out my pouch...and i don't want to do that... :) i have found that i LOVE tofu, and a lot of other veg foods...it's incredable how yummy they actually are!!! :) as far as going veg...i'm pretty much cutting out everything but eggs, some cheese (i found an AMAZING soy cheese that i just love!!) some dairy....but i'm drinking soy milk and such. ever since surgery i haven't been able to tolerate dairy products so much....

i can't cut out sushi. although i only eat it about 2 times a month.... it's just too much of a favorite to give up!!! :) thank you again for your reply... have a wonderful day!!! :) ~jen

JeanneB_RD
on 10/29/07 8:35 am
Hi Jen, It sounds to me that you're on the right track and the previous recommendations were right on!!  I'm glad to hear that you'll still incorporate some cheese and sushi. Mainly so you won't get burned out on tofu and beans.  Best of luck!
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active