4 years out... weight gain

mariposah
on 10/29/07 4:15 am
Hi, I need some help with regards to sugar cravings and weight gain.  Any suggestions, insight on how to get off of it, and what I should be eating now?  Should go cold turkey, wean, ???? I'm confused and is there such thing as "sugar addiction"?  Should I eat it in moderation?  If I do go cold turkey, I'm afraid I will definately go crazy.  Please help!
Heather S.
on 10/29/07 6:38 am - Southern, NJ
I'm sure you're looking for facts from a nutritionist...but I'll give you my personal opinion until they get to it... YES there is such a thing as sugar addiction...as soon as I have some "bad carbs" I just want more and more and more.   I've found the only way to stop the addiction is cold turkey...almost literally!  If I up my protein and cut back majorly on all carbs, cutting out completely all white flours and sugar (if it's the 5th ingredient or lower on the ingredient list  I allow it) then I can get the cravings under control and start losing weight.  IMO, for my body at least...there is no such thing as sugar in moderation. It takes me about 3 days of eating that way (and fighting my temptations!) before it gets easier. Why I can't remember to never start back up with that junk I don't know. I'm going in for RNY in 10 days and I'm hoping I'll be one of those people who dumps on sugar...that should keep me from forgetting!! Good luck.  I'm anxious to hear what the nutritionists say... Heather
JeanneB_RD
on 10/29/07 8:45 am
Heather, you are absolutely correct.  Just a little metabolism background....when we eat simple sugars we have a sharp rise in blood glucose (sugar) followed by a sharp decline telling our bodies that we need more sugar in order to bring those glucose levels back up.  When we eat protein and complex carbs (fiber) we slow down that sharp rise in blood sugar and keep our blood sugars more stable so we can then avoid the highs and lows which spark hunger. Eating more sugar definitely tells your body to eat more sugar. It's a vicious cycle which needs to be BROKEN.  Determination and distraction may help to get you over these cravings. I think journaling really helps. Try to put in writing why you're reaching for the simple sugars. Putting it on paper can help acknowledge your behaviors so then you can tackle breaking the cycle. Like Heather said, in a few days time you won't have the cravings anymore because you stablized your blood glucose.  Best of Luck! You can do it!
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
mariposah
on 10/29/07 9:28 am
Hey Heather, you were right!! LOL thanks for your insight.  I think because you are so wise already about the harms of sugar, you will be JUST FINE after surgey.  You go girl!!  I'm post-op 4 years and have been overweight most of my life, and it is not until JUST NOW that I realized the culprit is SUGAR! Good luck to you!
Most Active