To Much Cheese????

cheermama1993
on 10/29/07 12:41 am - Fontana, CA
Can you have to much string cheese?  I have about 3-5 a day.  Will that make me constipated?  I am 3 weeks post op today.

DanielleH_RD
on 10/29/07 10:38 am - CA
I guess you can have too much of anything, technically.  I don't think 3-5 servings of string cheese is excessive, especially if it is skim and if you are using it as part of your planned meals.  Your mantra in these early post-op days is to get enough protein, and your cheese probably provides about 8 grams of protein (and about 5 grams of fat?) I think there are better sources of protein and especially with lower fat, but if it's working for now, it's a reasonable option.  Now about the constipation Your diet right now is low fiber.  You are probably struggling to get in all of your fluids.  The whole diet is constipating - not just the cheese! You may want to add one of the fiber supplements on the market - I prefer the ones that dissolve clear.  You can mix them into anything you are drinking and they don't make it taste any different.  Other people use a daily stool softener like colace.  Your doctor or dietitian will probably have recommendations they can give you for this.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active