Taking Supplements

dolphindreams
on 10/25/07 8:38 pm - Bakersville, NC
so, someone mentioned in another thread that you shouldn't take iron and calcium together because they compete for absorption. i didn't know that. i've just been given a ton of supplements to take by my dr. i don't know the "rules" on what not to take with what etc. any advice would be wonderful because i definately want to get the full benefit of the supplements. here's what i'm taking: *multivitamin *fiber supplement - only taking it once a day atm and am taking it with breakfast *iron 3 times a day - one with each meal *Calcium 2 times a day - i was taking this with breakfast and supper but if taking that and the iron together is bad then i need to know how far to space them *Metaformin HCL - take it with largest meal, supper *Nexium - i usually take this about an hour after breakfast because dr had said that it's not good to take this with the fiber.
sexyo7
on 10/26/07 8:12 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 11/28/07 with
Hi I dont no a lot about what you should take with what be I no you are not suppose to take the iron and calcium together because one stops the absorption of the other so it is suppose to be at least 2hrs apart. Barbara
sarard
on 10/26/07 9:01 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Yes, you should not take the iron and calcium together. That's true. I usually recommend that they are taken at least 2 hours apart. I do think it's best to take calcium in the morning, iron in the evening .... but if it's a least 2 hours apart, you should be cool. The rest: fiber, metformin, nexium, multivitamin can be taken at anytime. As far as I know, they don't interact with each other.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active