Vitamin D deficiency pre-op??

Donna P.
on 10/25/07 6:09 am - Sterling Hts, MI
I found out from my primary physician today that some of my labs were back from the Bariatric Clinic.  She informed me that my Vitamin D levels were pretty low!  Is there anything I can do to help increase Vitamin D without taking supplements?  I am lactose intolerant and really never drink milk.  Are there any foods that are healthy that have vitamin D in them that I could eat? Also, will this hinder a decision on whether or not I am a candidate for the bypass surgery? Donna P.
Donna P.

sarard
on 10/25/07 8:09 am - Costa Mesa, CA
You may need a special work up - there is no reason why you should be Vitamin D deficient. You may be refered to an endocrinologist for futher work up. Best source of vitamin D is the sun ---
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Donna P.
on 10/25/07 8:52 am - Sterling Hts, MI
Great!  Just when I need the sun it's Fall...    I guess my husband was right when he told me to get the heck out of the house this summer, but I'm so busy with my school work, I kind of live at my computer or in class!  Hmmmmmmm...  My physician didn't seem too worried, but I guess I'll see what the bariatric physician has to say next week! Thanks for the information, I truly appreciate it! Donna P.
Donna P.

Most Active