Hypoglycemia

Linda B.
on 10/25/07 2:57 am - Philadelphia, PA
I'm 18 months out (110 pounds down) and just diagnosed with hypoglycemia - lucky me! I dump even looking at sugar, and Dr. Dallal keeps telling me how lucky I am that I do. He (the surgeon) told me to make sure to balance any carbs, including complex carbs, with protein to help diminish the episodes (I've had about 5 in two months - episodes, that is - shaking hands, dizziness, headache and fuzziness in my thoughts). Any eating suggestions would be most welcome! Linda B. Philadelphia, PA

Because Bees Fly    

JeanneB_RD
on 10/25/07 12:50 pm
Hello,  I myself suffer from hypoglycemia. The most important thing is to balance your complex carbs w/ protein, just like your MD told you. I try to eat every 2-3 hours so I avoid the low episodes. The good news is that you're familiar with protein and complex carbs. I like to snack on nuts, low fat string cheese and now lots of lean turkey meat. Avoiding the simple sugars is crucial in keeping your blood sugar as stable as possible. Peanut butter has worked nicely for me. I purchase the no added sugar variety and make sure there are no hydrogenated oils in the ingredient list. I'll pair it with celery sticks for a crunchy snack.  Good luck!
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Linda B.
on 10/25/07 10:08 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the help!

Because Bees Fly    

Most Active