Anyone have experence with the "DASH" diet?

Richard S.
on 10/24/07 6:58 am - Forsyth, IL
I had RNY bypass just over two years ago. For a while my blood pressure issues went away but I find now that it is high enough to go back on medication. I hate that.  I just read that there is a "Dietary Aproach to Stop Hypertension" (DASH) diet that should help reduce blood pressure problems without medication but I do not know if it is appropriate for folks like us.  Anyone seen this, discussed it, modified it for our special cir****tances? Have a great day. Rich
sarard
on 10/24/07 10:14 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Dear Rich, The DASH diet has shown to reduce Hypertension. You're right, you've done your research. With a RNY, you can also follow the DASH diet. It will provide you will strong guidelines for blood pressure control. The DASH diet is around 55% carb, 25 % protein and 20% fat (right?). I would recommend closer to 50% carb, 30% pro and 20% fat for you -- a bit higher on the protein - but continue to follow their guidelines for salt and types of fat. The DASH diet does allow for some sweets, if your RNY diet restricts them, then continue to restict them. The DASH diet should not 'over-ride' your RNY diet. Make sense?
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Richard S.
on 10/26/07 12:06 am - Forsyth, IL
Thanks.  At first glance I had my doubts but now I need to find out more details of the plan. My understanding has been that at my size and activity level I needed 90 - 100 grams protein a day which I think is about 5-6 servings of protein dense food per day. I have no problem with fruits, vegetables and whole grains but I was concerned with this diet  plan I might get too much volume and not enough protein. Rich
Most Active