5 DAY POUCH TEST?

PENNYWISE60
on 10/24/07 8:28 am, edited 10/24/07 8:31 am - Canada
Hello Dietitian.....
Can you please shed some light on this 5 day pouch test I've been reading alot about lately??
Is this just a "fad diet" as some feel, or does it actually do a body good? I really would like you to clarify this for us.....I for one think this 5 day pouch test sounds like an awesome thing when you get in a stall or just plain funk with eating day to day!
I hope to hear from you soon, I just know alot of people will be interested to know the facts!   
thanx so much....
Penny     (2 weeks out)
DanielleH_RD
on 10/24/07 12:45 pm - CA
Can you forward a post or something else that gives the details of this "test". I've seen a couple different versions of the "test" and want to be sure I have the specifics correct. Thanks!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

MelaniaB_RD
on 10/24/07 1:10 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Hello Penny, Well this was a new one for me so I looked it up.  It was developed by a woman named Kaye Bailey, who is a freelance health writer who writes about weight loss surgery and has had WLS.  She claims that this "5 day pouch test" helps determine if a pouch is working and will return to that "tight newbie feeling".  Sounds like a tall order for this diet to fill, but let me continue. The "test" is essentially ALL protein for 5 days straight, a recommendation of at least 64 ounces of water per day and you are "allowed" to eat an orange or small piece of melon if you notice symptoms of 'carbohydrate withdrawl'.  If you feel nauseated, she recommends sipping green tea and/or ginger to calm your stomach.  Sounds like a good time huh? To further detail this "test" here are the details: Days 1 & 2:   All liquid protein including low carb protein shakes, clear or cream soups, gelatin or pudding (all sugar-free of course). Day 3:           All soft protein such as tuna, salmon, eggs, soft fish (hope you like fish). Day 4:           All firm protein that is ground (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut. Day 5:           All solid protein such as white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game To answer your question, yes it is just another fad diet that eliminates all fruits & vegetables, whole grains and dairy products.  Of course you might lose a couple pounds, but that is simply because you will likely be eating fewer calories (very Atkins-like).  After coming as far as you have with WLS, do you really want to try yet another fad diet?  I would follow the diet progression that was given to you by your surgeon or dietitian to try to get on and stay on the road to successful weight loss.   That's my two cents!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
PENNYWISE60
on 10/24/07 6:47 pm - Canada
Thanx so much MalaniaB_RD for your very professional; and timely response!!!

I totally agree with you but to a certain extent I guess....do you not feel this would be beneficial just to get you over a slump of weight loss stall???? Could it do any  harm in just 5 days, being without veg's & fruit? I hear so many doing this, and loosing 6-8 pounds ( in that 5 days) and sending them right into a new fresh path of loosing weight again! I appreciate your professional answer to my question I guess when it's all said & done people are going to do what they're going to do anyway....right? Even when it goes against the grain of "the right & proper thing to do"......
Penny   
Leann N.
on 10/25/07 5:28 am
I don't mean to disagree with the dietitian, but I think this plan sounds great. I am 5 years out and have had 2 kids and am 40 pounds over my goal. I have started this plan today and I will tell you why. 1. It brings you back to the beginning, the basics, all of which I have not practiced since the kids. 2. It takes you off the carbs and you won't have the cravings as bad after the 5 days. 3. It's a way to take back control of your eating and your lifestyle. Not only do they advocated the 5 day plan, they suggest getting back to exercise which we all need...for our health. I don't think it's a fad diet..I think that term is wrong in this case. If it IS a fad diet, then from day 1 of post op gastric bypass, everyone is on a fad diet. From what I remember, this plan condenses the 1st 3 months of Post gastric bypass eating in 5 days. I guess you could draw it out into 3 months, but you can adjust it however you feel comfortable for whatever your needs are. This does not feel like a fad diet to me. I'll let you know where I am after my 5 days.
PENNYWISE60
on 10/25/07 6:04 am - Canada
Hello Leann,
I can't wait to hear how you made out with this 5 day pouch test! Please don't forget to come back and share your experiences for the 5 days.....I'm very curious. I will be waiting!
thanx
Penny
DanielleH_RD
on 10/25/07 7:50 am - CA

Not to step into the controversy too deeply... I read the original question to be "how's this diet?" Melania gave the overview and the limitations of the diet - information to help people make a choice. The next comment about not agreeing with the dietitian - perfectly fair to shed light on the reasons why someone might want to go on this diet. A "fad diet" is described in the literature as a nutrient and/or calorie deficient diet that is designed for short term.  These diets tend to run their course in communities or groups of friends.  They are difficult to follow, extremely restrictive, and usually "trendy".   The pouch diet meets these descriptions, wouldn't you say? But you asked if it was really going to do anything bad to you if you followed it for 5 days. Probably not.  The reduction in fiber and high protein may make you a bit constipated (remember that from your early post-op days).  You will probably go into ketosis if you haven't in a while (remember the bad breath and lethargy).  Generally speaking, this diet won't cause harm - and yeah, you may drop a few pounds or two. It's true that sometimes radically shifting the way that you eat can help to jump start youir motivation for diet changes, exercise changes, etc.  You could choose to do an all vegetable diet, or an all fruit and vegetable diet and probably get similar results.  Many of us have gone on the 'crash' diet to fit into a dress or look good in an outfit.   As a dietitian I promote making samll changes that you can live with.  As an alternative to a 5 day diet, couldn't a person choose to take a good look at their habits and maybe clean up a few that are not so good?  Changing a bad habit would probably do more good in the long run and eliminate the torture of a 5 day protein fast. Just some thoughts...

Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com

PENNYWISE60
on 10/25/07 8:04 am - Canada
Well said Danielle! thanx.....
Penny  
Full of Life
on 10/27/07 2:33 am - Broken Arrow, OK
I just finished the 5 day pouch test and here's what I think.  I didn't do it as a "fad diet". I did it to break my carb cravings (by this I do mean bad carbs, not healthy ones) and to get back to the basics of wls diet. I'm already below goal, so even though I did lose 5 pounds it wasn't the major point for me.  I do feel a definate difference in the tightness of my pouch. I can not eat as much as I could the week before!! I no longer crave bread and other carbs. It was almost like a 5 day detox and wow do I feel great after finishing it up.  Now my goal this week is to slowly add back in fruits and veggies and NOT "whites".  Just my opinion of course... eveyone needs to do what they feel is best for them.

Laurie
I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me

RNY 5-19-05      
hernia repair/tt 4-10-06
BW: 262 lbs     GW: 140 lbs     CW: 126 lbs

5 Day Pouch Test Graduate!!! I lost 5 pounds and feel GREAT

Most Active