Dental Health After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass

Sharon F.
on 10/24/07 12:16 am - East Alton, IL
I had gastric bypass surgery on 6/23/07.  I’m concerned about a string of messages I read on the WLS Graduates Forum about teeth wearing/crumbling years after WLS.  Is this due to nutritional deficiencies?  What can I do to avoid this happening to me? Thanks.
DanielleH_RD
on 10/24/07 1:38 am - CA
I am doing a little research on this - especially after the recent strings & threads... Here are a few things that are for sure: 1. After WLS (especially RNY) there is an alteration in the amount of saliva your mouth produces.  This condition is called Xerostomia and it is a major cause of tooth decay.  Saliva acts to clean your mouth, keep a lower acid level, and keep the bacteria moving.  A dry mouth can result in shrinking of the mucous membranes and gingiva (gums) and opening "pockets" near the roots of your teeth.  Since only the area above the gums is well covered in enamel, the exposed necks of the teeth are softer and more prone to decay.  What do you do? Drink between meals, make sure you are getting adequate fluids, keep your teeth clean, see your dentist regularly for routine cleanings, and floss to get food out from between your teeth.  When you can't brush, sugarless gum is a decent substitute until you can (I know people discourage it - but it keeps your mouth moist by stimulating saliva production). 2. Most bone loss and dental problems arise over time - unless you suffer a trauma of some sort.  If you have missing teeth, you are more likely to have bone loss in that area.  If you smoke, you are more likely to have bone loss (due to less oxygen circulation).  If you are having routine oral exams and cleanings by your dentist, they should be able to catch problems before they get out of hand. 3. Nutrient deficiencies can affect every part of your body - not just your teeth.  This is not a reason to mega-dose on vitamins (that can cause more problems).  It is important to be aware of the malabsorption issues associated with your surgery, be aware of the nutrients that you need to supplement, and then always take your supplements.  I strongly caution you to be aware of people recommending massive doses of nutrients (in this case, vitamin D).  I have posted on this topic and will provide more details in the post I am researching.  Keep in mind that if the person recommending big doses of vitamins also sells vitamins - they have a vested interest in convincing people that their way is the best way.  I'm not a great salesperson, but I will provide the facts.  If you go back a couple pages on this board, you will find info on this topic. Hope this gets you started!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Sharon F.
on 10/30/07 8:50 am - East Alton, IL
Thanks, Danielle.  I have my six-month appointment with the RN at the surgeon's office the end of November.  I'll ask her if she has any info on this topic, and, if she does, I'll share. Sharon
little_bank_robber
on 10/25/07 10:21 pm - BFE, MI
Very interesting post and timely too!  My gums are swollen in one area of my mouth and quite sore.  I know I need to increase my fluids...working on that.  Never thought that would be a problem the way I used to drink! I am going to try a (50%-50%) hydrogen peroxide/water rinse for a few days and see if that helps.  Seems like I had this once a couple of years ago and that is what my dentist recommended. I take great care of my teeth, brush at least twice a day and floss once EVERY day...my teeth are VERY important to me!

Proud Navy Mom

Most Active