day 3 of the pouch test

Tena
on 10/24/07 12:13 am - Blanchester, OH
I am on day three of the pouch test. Am I allowed to drink protein today? The reason I am asking is that it clearly states that we are only allowed soft protein on day three. I don't use the powder protein, and my sugar droped to 61 after I ate my egg. another question, are we allowed to eat the cream soups and the jello's?

thank you
Tena
DanielleH_RD
on 10/24/07 1:07 pm - CA
The "pouch test" is an anomaly floating around. Which one are you on? It's hard to answer any questions about it because it takes on a few different forms (remember the old cabbage soup diet?  It's like that...).  Please share the version you are on. Someday I will find out who came up with this...
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

DanielleH_RD
on 10/24/07 1:14 pm - CA
and like an angel, Melania comes to the rescue. Here's her post: Well this was a new one for me so I looked it up.  It was developed by a woman named Kaye Bailey, who is a freelance health writer who writes about weight loss surgery and has had WLS.  She claims that this "5 day pouch test" helps determine if a pouch is working and will return to that "tight newbie feeling".  Sounds like a tall order for this diet to fill, but let me continue. The "test" is essentially ALL protein for 5 days straight, a recommendation of at least 64 ounces of water per day and you are "allowed" to eat an orange or small piece of melon if you notice symptoms of 'carbohydrate withdrawl'.  If you feel nauseated, she recommends sipping green tea and/or ginger to calm your stomach.  Sounds like a good time huh? To further detail this "test" here are the details: Days 1 & 2:   All liquid protein including low carb protein shakes, clear or cream soups, gelatin or pudding (all sugar-free of course). Day 3:           All soft protein such as tuna, salmon, eggs, soft fish (hope you like fish). Day 4:           All firm protein that is ground (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut. Day 5:           All solid protein such as white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game To answer your question, yes it is just another fad diet that eliminates all fruits & vegetables, whole grains and dairy products.  Of course you might lose a couple pounds, but that is simply because you will likely be eating fewer calories (very Atkins-like).  After coming as far as you have with WLS, do you really want to try yet another fad diet?  I would follow the diet progression that was given to you by your surgeon or dietitian to try to get on and stay on the road to successful weight loss.   Thanks Melania! Tena, I hope this helps!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active