Protein / Carbs / Fat

Eric S.
on 10/24/07 12:22 am - Portage, IN
RNY on 08/14/07 with
According to my nutritionist, I need 80-100g of protein each day, along with the same amount of water in ounces (80-100 oz). My question is about % of calories from each of the above groups. Should I shoot for 50% from protein and 25% from fat and carbs? I am a bit over 2 months out from surgery and have no adverse effects to any foods. Thanks, Eric
Jupiter6
on 10/24/07 7:20 am - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Eric-- love your posts, btw--- I am obviously not a nutritionist, but our program stresses volume and balance and the numbers tend to work out. I can eat a half cup per meal (4 oz) so I eat 2 ounces protein, and 2 ounces of sumpin' else (potato/vegetable/starch/fruit)-- and as long as I rotate the sumpin' elses, it seems to come out around 50% protein, 20% fat and 30% carbs. My nut would thwapp you in the head like mine does and tell you to stop being so data driven. (It doesn't stop me, though!;)

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

sarard
on 10/24/07 9:32 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Dear Eric, I am happy you are thinking about nutrition - and happy you are trying to do the best for your body. It really shows you are working on a lifestyle change. Awesome. However, you are 2 months out -- your diet will likely change A LOT before you find a "usual intake". Right now, you are still healing. Your protein needs are significantly higher now (during the healing stage) than they will be in your maintance stage. Right now, you need a high protein diet. Try not to think of it in numbers yet. Once you are one year post op -- come back, we can talk numbers then. For now -- protein, protein, protein!!!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Karen S.
on 10/27/07 12:27 pm - Hudson Falls, NY
How many carbs and how many calories per day so that you can remain healthy and continue to lose weight?????  I am still new at this and trying to do the right things.  Karen Schworm

sarard
on 10/28/07 4:04 am - Costa Mesa, CA
It totally depends on your age, weight, height, exercise habits, medical history, how long your surgery was .... I would need a lot more information from you to give you correct levels ...
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active