I'm so discouraged!!

sarard
on 10/29/07 1:08 am - Costa Mesa, CA
What's the main nutritionist's board? Thought I was on it ....
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
PENNYWISE60
on 10/29/07 3:17 am, edited 10/29/07 3:23 am - Canada
No , Sara, this is part of a different question asked! I posted the ...question on how much our bodies can absorb in one sitting? The nutritionist  there answered my question from that post. This posting has taken a turn from it's original posted question....So I figured I'd post the protein  question on it's own....so  people would see that! Sorry if I got the terms wrong, I guess I just meant I posted a question on it's own..... p.s you'll have to forgive us "newbies" you say "we've discussed this many times on this board" but if we are brand new here...how in the world are we supposed to know that unless we ask?
Penny
sarard
on 10/29/07 7:37 am - Costa Mesa, CA
You're right - you probably wouldn't know if it was asked before - sorry about that. Instead of re-posting everything, I will try to cut and paste the link so you can read the responses. I think that may help. We are working on a "frequently asked questions" link on this board to help us with that .... :)
Registered Dietitian
Joanna_F
on 10/29/07 3:24 am - Newport Beach, CA
Hi Sara: I have some folks that I see in my office that actually use Jamba Juice drinks as a way of getting their protein in.  There are two types of protein "boosts" (supplemental powders) that can be added - whey protein and soy protein.  Are these compatible for post-op protein needs?  The typical serving provides 7 gms of protein, so I tell them to double or triple it as needed.  Would you encourage this or advise them to try more traditional protein drinks?  Thanks. -Joanna

Hi!  I am Joanna Fee, ObesityHelp's Events Manager and the Managing Editor of Bariatrics Today magazine.  For the latest info on events, please visit OH's events page.  Please feel free to e-mail me with questions, comments or concerns about the events or BT magazine.  Thanks!  

sarard
on 10/29/07 7:41 am - Costa Mesa, CA
I do recommend the protein powders - I am not totally crazy about the Jamba Juice because, after all, it is a whole bunch of juice. It can be too much sugar for some of the clients. I try to promote something low in sugar = < 15 g per serving. Now, I don't know the nutrition facts of a Jamba Juice, but, I'd bet it's > 15 grams. Although, with that being said, if the client is not reacting to the sugar, and is still taking weight off, I don't know that I'd totally discourage the behavior. I probably would just tell them to do the Jamba Juice thing in moderation -- not a daily habit. Are you an Exercise Physiologist?
Registered Dietitian
Joanna_F
on 10/29/07 1:44 pm - Newport Beach, CA
Hi Sara: Thank you for your reply!  Not an exercise physiologist - going more towards Dietetics.  I got the personal training certification to support the exercise instruction I give clients, but my day to day work involves more motivation, goal setting, journaling, etc.   The sugar point is well taken and they do have some with low sugar (basically less juice and more actual frui****er) that I recommend.  I often find that clients will find one or two lunch places that "work" for them and are nervous to broaden their horizons (or eat at a place w/out nutritional info at the ready).  Thank you for your advice - do you work in private practice in Costa Mesa?  I am considering the Dietetics (DTR) program at OCC versus CSULB.  So many options! It's nice to know you're close by!   

Hi!  I am Joanna Fee, ObesityHelp's Events Manager and the Managing Editor of Bariatrics Today magazine.  For the latest info on events, please visit OH's events page.  Please feel free to e-mail me with questions, comments or concerns about the events or BT magazine.  Thanks!  

sarard
on 10/30/07 5:56 am - Costa Mesa, CA
We have an on-line nutrition consulting business. The office that hosts that is in Costa Mesa. I personally have a private practice in Anaheim. I've just come off maternity leave so I'm starting to market my business again. My advice for dietetic related programs (and I'm biased) - choose a program that also has an RD program. Once you get involved, it's so interesting, that you want to continue. It's easier to make a DTR program into an RD program if you don't have to change schools. So, with that said, I'd recommend CSULB. Cal Poly Pomona has a great program too ... but that may be a bit far for you ..... in any event -- good luck!!
Registered Dietitian
Joanna_F
on 10/30/07 6:41 am - Newport Beach, CA
Sara: Thank you for the great recommendation - it's definitely tipped me toward LB (and I'm relocating to Belmont Shores as well, so it seems to be destiny!)  Thanks again. 

Most Active