I'm so discouraged!!

scribad
on 10/23/07 10:53 am - Tacoma, WA
I have my banding surgery in two weeks so I started my liquid diet today.  The clear liquids and vitamins etc don't bother me.  When I tried my first protein "shake" I literally vomitted after the 5th drink.  This is exactly what I was worried about the most.  I am afraid I won't be able to tolerate the protein drinks and I will fail.  Please anyone with any suggestions I am more than happy to hear them. Getting depressed and worried here Diana
sarard
on 10/23/07 1:22 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi Diana, Relax. Don't worry. There are literally thousands of protein drinks on the market. There are also flavor-less protein powders that you can add to food or liquid. You just have to find the protein supplement that is right for you. Don't give up. Try other protien shakes. Buy the smallest container so you can try different shakes. Many doctor's offices have samples, ask for them. Keep cruising the OH board - I'm sure you'll get many suggestions of protein shakes that taste good. And, if you can't tolerate the protein drinks, well, then you will just have to be more creative and work a bit harder on the food you eat. Just because you can't do the shake, that does not mean that you will fail. You can still succeed with WLS even if you don't like protein shakes. For now, keep and eye out for recommendations, try many different kinds of shakes, and don't worry. Good luck!
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
PENNYWISE60
on 10/25/07 12:14 am, edited 10/25/07 12:17 am - Canada
Hello Diana....
Not sure if you are trying other recipes for your powdered protein but.....there are many many to try...a DOUBLE CHOCOLATE DECAFE.....46 GR. OF PROTEIN!!!!
If you drink coffee, make a pot of DECAFE... (the rest simply put in ice cube trays for later & put in ziplock bag.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE LATTE

1/2 cup decafe coffee
dash of milk  (maybe 1/4  cup)
HEAT IN MICRO WAVE or drink it cold.....(I like it warm)
add 2 scoops chocolate protein powder
put in magic bullet or blender or whatever you have  (shake it up)
ENJOY!!!!!

I make the vanilla protein powders with milk and add fruit (banana, strawberries, peaches etc.
this is also very good....2 scoops of protein powder gives me 46 gr. of protein...which puts me well over 1/2 of my daily requirement already!!!!!

Use your imagination and go wild....add a wee bit of flavours too if you like, coconut extract, peppermint extract...experiment and have fun with it...
I'm sure you'll find one that pleases you until you can create another masterpiece!!!!!
Penny
WyoSue
on 10/26/07 11:17 am
Penny, Just a thought, but I was told that your body does not absorb more than 35 grams of protein at one time.  Maybe the nutritionist can tell us if this is true.  I really like IDS protein powder.  Sue
PENNYWISE60
on 10/26/07 8:33 pm - Canada
WyoSue
Wow,
now wouldn't that be a kick in the head!!!! I only do the two scoops to sort of kill two birds with one stone. I like the thought of having over 1/2 my protein in for the day in one shot!!!! I'll post this question on the main board.....thanx for the heads up.....good point!!!!!!!!
Penny    
sarard
on 10/28/07 4:09 am - Costa Mesa, CA
It's not true -- and we've discussed this many times on this board -- I'll try to get you the link ....
Registered Dietitian
sarard
on 10/28/07 4:11 am - Costa Mesa, CA
The answer I come up with is that this whole 25-30 g protein per serving is a myth. There is no data I can find to support this claim. In the research, I find nothing. To the contrary, I find info supporting my original idea - protein metabolism is a dynamic process and is not limited by volume as suggested. Protein synthesis in your body IS limited by the quality of protein you consume. The additional idea that only body builders need more protein - well don't you think a protein starved RNY patient has needs at least equal, if not in excess of that bodybuilder? Protein & the kidneys - the protein load only affects the kidneys if you have kidney disease. For regular folks, get your fluids and you will be fine!
Registered Dietitian
sarard
on 10/28/07 4:09 am - Costa Mesa, CA
It's not true -- and we've discussed this many times on this board -- I'll try to get you the link ....
Registered Dietitian
sarard
on 10/28/07 4:12 am - Costa Mesa, CA
The answer I come up with is that this whole 25-30 g protein per serving is a myth. There is no data I can find to support this claim. In the research, I find nothing. To the contrary, I find info supporting my original idea - protein metabolism is a dynamic process and is not limited by volume as suggested. Protein synthesis in your body IS limited by the quality of protein you consume. The additional idea that only body builders need more protein - well don't you think a protein starved RNY patient has needs at least equal, if not in excess of that bodybuilder? Protein & the kidneys - the protein load only affects the kidneys if you have kidney disease. For regular folks, get your fluids and you will be fine!
Registered Dietitian
PENNYWISE60
on 10/28/07 4:29 am - Canada
thanx Sara,
I did end posting this question on the main nutritionists board....and got the same answer you gave here! so I thank you...I know as newbies we must be a royal pain in the ass, asking the same old questions that have been around the block a few times....I suggested to the nutritionist that maybe they could come up with a FACT AND MYTH PAGE so us newbies can go read & learn! If it comes from the nutritionist, then it will be gospel, so to speak, and not just someones opinion on a health fact!!!!
Penny 
Most Active