Can't tolerate sugar subs

PlicketyCat
on 10/23/07 7:27 am - Kenmore, WA
I've tried everything. Of course I know how horrible things like mannitol and maltitol are for me, and aspartame gives me a wicked migraine... but I thought sucralose would be better. Boy was I wrong. Pre-op I thought it was just that my taste buds were used to sugar, but post-op anything sweetened with sucralose (or the others) tastes horrible/acrid, makes my throat itch and makes my pouch grouchy for at least an hour. The only subst. that doesn't mess me up too badly is Xylitol (bonus - it's good for the teeth) but it does give me bad gas if I have more than what's in my gum... so it's not really a good candidate for sweetener. I've tried Stevia and wasn't that impressed, post-op it tastes really wrong (like urea) to me. So, I'm wondering if there are any other suggestions. I've heard about crystallized fructose... which sounds a lot like cane sugar, but supposedly doesn't have the glycemic reaction that sucrose causes. I'm not diabetic yet, but I am insulin resistant and have some hypoglycemic issues. I also don't have a huge sweet tooth, so don't really hyper-sweeten anything, but I'm wondering exactly how evil real sugar really is because there are so many conflicting reports nowadays. If I'm sensible with the use of sugar in my meal & beverage prep is it really so horrible? 
sarard
on 10/23/07 8:02 am - Costa Mesa, CA
You'll probably get many different opinions on this topic, but I'll the first to put in my two cents: I only use real sugar. GASP! That's right, I am a dietitian and I eat sugar. I don't use pink, blue, or yellow packets. I'm a natural girl. I do my best to eat food in its natural form. So, my opinion, there is nothing wrong with real sugar -- WHEN USED IN MODERATION! That statement is not a free pass to indulgence. We tell WLS clients to avoid sugar for dumping syndrome. We also tell clients to avoid sugar for weight loss -- sugar has calories -- and a lot of them. So, if you can tolerate a little sugar without dumping syndrome, if your weight is stable & you are not gaining weight, and you promise to use sugar in moderation and not get carried away with it .... well, then, sugar is not evil at all, and I'd say you can eat it. With that being said, I do expect criticism from other OH-ers and probably from my dietitian friends out here as well ....
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
sarard
on 10/23/07 8:04 am - Costa Mesa, CA
In addition ... You're insulin resistant AND have hypoglycemic reactions?? Are you on medication?
Registered Dietitian
PlicketyCat
on 10/23/07 9:48 am - Kenmore, WA
I was put on metformin when I was diagnosed with PCOS, but it made me nauseated and increased my hypoglecimic risk (I couldn't finish a work out without stopping and eating) so we agreed I should stop taking it. My surgeon thinks that the insulin resistance associated with the PCOS will resolve after I lose my extra weight and so does my PCP and GYN. As for the hypoglecemia, I just have to make sure that I eat something with a little carbs every couple of hours and mix my carbs with proteins - like fruit and nuts, or veggies with cream cheese - and I'm usually fine, but I can't go more than 4 hours without a little something or I get all dizzy, weak and cranky. I'm definitely not planning to over-indulge in table sugar, and I monitor sugar and carbs in FitDay. The most sugar I get is from my diluted Gatorade because plain water still hurts and nothing sugar-free sweetened works. Gatorade still has less sugar than most juices, so I think it's an acceptable trade. My liquid fiber (Ready Fiber) is naturally a little sweet, so I use that to take the bite out of my morning and afternoon herbal tea. Otherwise, I only use sugar in some cooking and things like cocoa - but only a little because I'm not into really sweet stuff. I'm also not into bizarre chemical alterations, so I agree with the natural sugar philosophy. Even though sugar only has 16 calories per teaspoon, I'd much rather have nutritious calories if I can. If the flavor doesn't conflict, I tend to use honey instead... still a bit high in sugars, but bee goo has those magic health properties no one understands.
sarard
on 10/23/07 1:14 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
I was curious about the hypoglycemia .... I agree, your insulin resistance will likely clear up with weight loss. As for the hypoglycemia, you're on the right track. You'll probably always want to keep a snack in your purse. Honey, sugar, Gatorate ... use in moderation. Doesn't sound like you're going to go crazy with sugar, so, sound like it should be OK. Good luck - good question.
Registered Dietitian
Most Active