What's the deal on Sodium??

SavannahJ85
on 10/23/07 12:57 am - NC

Will 2 much sodium cause weight loss to stop? I'm 7 months post-op and my weight loss had been going great until these last 2 months. I've only lost 10 pounds in the last 2 months. I have been on track with my food getting in between 800-1000 calories a day, I've been trying to cycle them to get my weight loss going again. I consume 100g of protein or more a day and my carbs are very limited as well. I have been exercising 2-3 times a week and I need to work on getting that to 5 days a week. But my question is, I live alone and I'm not a great cook. So my meals are all prepared for convenience. I eat a lot of frozen meats, deli meats, already prepared meats. Basically just something I pop in the microwave. The calories, fat, and protein content are all great but I was just wondering about the sodium. I have seen people talk about it and wanted to know what the deal was with it. That wouldn't slow down weight loss would it?

JeanneB_RD
on 10/23/07 6:48 am
Nope, you are right. Sodium won't slow down weight loss, however too much salt can cause fluid retention.  Maybe you are holding onto extra fluid which won't show a loss on the scale. When possible try to limit your salt intake. For example, if a product has a lower sodium option choose that one. The average American consumes anywhere b/w 5,000-8000mg of salt/day. The recommendation is about 3,000mg/day.  As a country we consume way too much.  Start checking labels for salt and do a rough estimate for a day to see if you're getting too much.  Good luck!
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active