Eating enough or to much!

leanna44
on 10/21/07 6:29 am

Hi, I've just pasted my year anniversery and have lost 120 pounds!  But I've really had to work at it, in the beginning the lost was really great for about 4 months then I began to slow down, normal right but with me I really had to change my eating and exercising to get the weight off, I eat 3 meals no snacks and about 90+ protein.  I also exercise 3-4 days a week.  I figured half of my problem is I'm Hypothroid but it seems I'm struggling just to get a half pound off.  What I'm now experiencing is alot of hunger after meals, I have about 1 1/2 cups per meal but I'm still hungry..is this head hunger?  Am I really hungry? Do I need to add more protein to stop the hungrier..  I'm just at a lost.  I like to lose another 60 pounds and I feel like it won't happen if I don't get my eating habits under control. Your advice will greatly appreciated!! Vera

JeanneB_RD
on 10/22/07 6:44 am

Hi Vera,  Congrats on losing 120#. It sounds like it' s been a challenge to keep weight off for you. I wouldn't expect that to change. Your protein sounds more than adequate so I'm not sure adding more protein would be of help. Are you snacking? That might help w/ the hunger at meal times. What to you typically do after eating? Are you keeping food journals? This has proven to be very successful for long-term weight loss. You might need to increase your exercise. Do you do any weight bearing exercises? This will burn more calories for you. The current recommendation is to excercise every day for at least 30 minutes at a moderate level. Upping your exercise might help spark some more weight loss.

I hope this helps! Good luck,

Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Jen Halliday
on 10/22/07 7:43 am - Elmira, NY
Vera,  I agree with what Jeanne posted. When I asked my nutritionist this questions, she said that I should probably be eating anywhere from 5 to 6 small "meals" a day. So, I use fitday religiously and I try to keep up on a handwritten food journal. I also work out regularly and I run. So, while I think I eat a lot, I burn so much that it all evens out. I am maintaining and if I watch it close enough, I may even drop a pound or two here and there. This is my typical day, eating-wise: breakfast at 7 or 7:30 am, (totally the most important meal of the day)(I eat a "bigger" breakfast because it fuels me for my morning) small snack at 9:30 or 10 am, lunch at 12:30 or 1 pm, (again, being active, I tend to make this one a "bigger" meal because it fuels me past the afternoon blahs....you know what I mean!) small snack at about 3 or 3:30 pm, dinner at 5:30 or 6 pm, and maybe an eveing snac****ep it light, like cheese & apple or some popcorn that I pop myself. (stove or airpop)  That's how I do it. I fully suggest signin up for a free food journal service, such as www.fitday.com, to keep track of your eating habits, as well as any activities and goals you might have. Good luck, Vera!! Jen Halliday 

Jen Halliday

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God & die to find out there isn't, than to live my life as if there isn't & die to find out there is!!"

Started this journey at 332 # and now weigh 158! Goal: Maintain & be healthy!

leanna44
on 10/22/07 10:38 pm

Thanks to both of you on your suggestions!  I actually thought the same thing about writing everything down to get an accurate count of calories, fat, protein and carbs.  I was shocked when I realized I was having more calories then I thought in the mornings and some of the food I was eating are VERY high in carbs. I've been told to keep my carbs at 40 but that seems low, I checked a few places and they recommended 100-150 for weight lost..., I keep thinking this is where I problem is, my calories and fat are within 1000-1200 most days..although there are times during the month, I probably are way over that :) 

Jen your schedule of eating is very similar to one I use to have before I switched to 3 meals only plan.  I'm evercising about 4-times a week and maybe on the days I don't exercise, I should use that plan to keep my metabolism burning high.

I'll check out fitday, it sounds like it will help me keep track on those days when I eat a little more than I should or on the days when I need to add a little more.

Thanks Again,

Vera

JeanneB_RD
on 10/23/07 6:59 am
There is also a great website that can help you keep track of your calories. It's called thedailyplate.com. That might be helpful in your mission!  Take care,
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active