sweet tea

Alana
on 10/17/07 12:53 am - Grant, LA

before wls i was addicted to sweet tea...and i am still am!!!!  does this count torward my liquids????   thanx....alana

senoraburt
on 10/17/07 1:53 am - IN
My doctor won't allow tea or coffee unless it is decaffeinated. In fact they say if you do go against rules and drink tea or coffee with caffeine you need to drink extra water to make up for the diuretic effect of caffeine. That being said, my group allows a decaf. liquid to count towards your total liquids. So, if you buy decaf. teabags (easily available) and sweeten with splenda, my group would allow that tea to count towards your total liquids. I like crystal light peach tea and this counts towards my liquid intake.
Robin W.
on 10/17/07 2:27 am - Franklin, OH
Every doc is different about CAFFEINE so you better call yours.   I drink 24-48 oz of green tee that does have caffeine in it but I also drink another 48oz ++++ of either decaff tea, crystal light, or other liquids. There is a lot of debate over caffeine and weight loss.   Good Luck,  Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

MelaniaB_RD
on 10/17/07 4:54 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Alana, Sweet tea is certainly considered a liquid but if it has regular sugar added I would advise against it as it may cause dumping.   Many people get hung up on the caffeine in tea and coffee, but in moderation the current thought is that it is OK, i.e. a glass of iced tea or a cup of coffee.  Yes caffeine is a diuretic but again in small amounts it is fine.  An alternative is to make your sweet tea with an artificial sweetener of your choice such as Splenda, Nutrasweet, etc.  If caffeine makes you jittery, you can brew your own iced tea using decaf tea bags...yes it is a bit more work but it tastes great! Regards,
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
aml711
on 10/23/07 2:40 pm - Erie, PA
I love sweet tea!!  I have always used decaf tea bags and splenda and love the taste.  

Annette
318 - highest
308 - preop
165 - goal

Most Active