Calcium WITH meals or BETWEEN meals??

Heather S.
on 10/12/07 2:13 am - Southern, NJ
Should I be taking my calcium between meals or with meals?  I've read it both ways and now I'm confused!  While on the topic...take my multi WITH meals...right? (I'm still pre-surgery...if the answer is different post-op please explain) Thanks, Heather

Highest
~Hospital Discharge~Current~
Goal 
   293  ~  (11/9/07) 286  ~  193 ~ 140
                   Height: 5'-6"  Age: 35

DanielleH_RD
on 10/12/07 5:09 am - CA

Pre-op, you don't have to worry about the same restrictions.  You can take your multi with food or alone. For calcium, I suggest taking it at times separate from coffee or tea - before bed works.  I don't think taking your multi and calcium at the same time is as effective as separating the doses - in order to get better absorption. Post-op you do have to worry about restrictions.  The multi is better taken with meals - 1. to slow it down and give it a little time to break down and 2. to maximize the absorption of the fat soluble vitamins (most meals have a little fat in them, this helps).  For calcium, I suggest taking it between meals.  Most of your meal post-op is protein, in that protein is iron (most of the time) - calcium and iron interfere with each other regarding absorption.  So, in order to get max calcium and max iron, you should try to reduce the interactions as much as possible. Also, a general word about supplements. If you are taking multiple doses of the same supplement, it is best to scatter them throughout the day, this helps improve absorption.  Your body is only going to take what it needs (and with WLS, it will take what it can get...) if your give the body multiple chances to absorb a nutrient, it will take in more overall.  For example, instead of taking 1500 mg of calcium at once, it is better to take 500 mg 3 times in the day. Good luck with your surgery!

Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Heather S.
on 10/12/07 7:13 am - Southern, NJ
Thanks!  That was exactly the info I was looking for! Heather

Highest
~Hospital Discharge~Current~
Goal 
   293  ~  (11/9/07) 286  ~  193 ~ 140
                   Height: 5'-6"  Age: 35

Most Active