Aspartame

Elaine C.
on 10/11/07 4:47 am - Lawton, OK
What's the skinny? I have been doing on-line research and found some pro's and some cons.  I have also read that aspartame can stall or slow down weight loss.  I drink a lot of crytal light and my yogurt has aspartame....it is in a lot of things I really never thought about before.  I kep using no sugar added or sugar free products.  Heck, now I am going to have to go home and check my protein powder.
JeanneB_RD
on 10/11/07 6:43 am
Hi Elaine,  Great question re: aspartame. It's a tricky one. Research was done using mega doses on rats and mice. The amounts they used were gigantic and the rats/mice didn't have great outcomes.  I'm always wary of applying animal testing to humans. Like everything...moderation is the KEY. I think a bit of aspartame won't hurt you, however my recommendation is to buy Splenda made products whenever possible. Splenda most resembles real sugar and so far in testing hasn't had any major controversy. They even recommend 2-3 servings/day for pregnant women.  Keep in mind when finding research on aspartame and other non-sugar sweetners that view points can be biased based on the product they're trying to sell.  I hope this clears up some confusion for you!  Take care,  Jeanne
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active