Calcium

heathermc57
on 10/10/07 10:55 pm - Warner Robins, GA
Can someone explain to me the difference between Calcium Citrate and Calcium Carbonate?  Aren't we suppose to take the Citrate?  If so, why?   Sorry...I'm confused. Heather

261/237/135
Highest/Current/Goal
Surgery Date:  10/03/07

sarard
on 10/11/07 1:09 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi,   Danielle will likely shed some light on this as well, but, here's my answer:   Calcuim needs to be bound to something - whether it's citrate or carbonate, it doesn't matter too much.  Once in your body, it will be broken down and converted to an ion for absorption.   When calcium is bound to citrate, it is better absorbed.  That's why we recommend it to WLS clients.    Calcium carbonate is not bad, and I have many clients taking carbonate.  However, I try to push Calcium Citrate because of the better absorption.  Plus, calcium citrate is commonly found in supermarkets, pharmacies, and discount stores.  It's easy to find & I feel is a superior form of calcium.   If you're taking citrate, great.  If you're taking carbonate, great.  If your doctor only wants you to take citrate, OK, take the citrate.  Your doctor may only have citrate in his or her guidelines because it's absorbed better.    Hope that helps.  Let me know if it doesn't.  Danielle is better at explaining the biochemistry of calcium absorption.  I usually sound like a textbook when I try to explain it.  :)  
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/07 3:55 am
Hi, Heather!  I take Caltrate 600 + D PLUS minerals (chewable) , as directed by my Dr. with food. It is my understanding that calcium absorbs quickly into our intestines SO the food helps delay the time that the calcium stays in that area, possibly increasing the amount that our bodies absorb.  I take my Caltrate... separate from my other supplements.   I eat three meals per day with supplements.  I plan a healthy snack to eat with my Caltrate at other times.  Some yogurt, cheese, a small salad are my favorites.  I include these foods as if they were part of my regular 3 meals.  It is important to me not to start "grazing" behavior SO I am spacing-out the meal to include the calcium with food; rather than adding an additional snack.   I try to allow an hour+ between my supplements and calcium consumption.  Hope this helps.  Ro
DanielleH_RD
on 10/11/07 1:01 pm - CA
I posted on this a while back so I'm going to share what I said then (it's been a long week!) The information I am sharing comes from a conference I attended last year.  The speaker was  Robert Martindale PhD, MD , Professor of Surgery, Oregon Health & Science Univ. (Some of you may have been his patient - he was previously in Georgia) Normal daily needs are 1000-1200 mg/day. In RNY recs are 1500-2000 mg/day - this assumes a 30-40% malabsorption -Calcium carbonate is not as well absorbed due to decreased acid in stomach and decreased dissolution (breaking apart) in the stomach. -Calcium Citrate with vitamin D is preferred as it is better absorbed - calcium citrate should be taken between meals -Neither calcium should be taken with iron as it decreases iron absorption Then, a study was done looking at the various factors affecting calcium absorption.  It included such variables as vitamin D levels, estrogen therapy, timing of intake, gastric acidity, age, gender, drug standards of dissolution and disintegration, and bioavailability. The results: The lab data slightly favors calcium citrate Cost data favors calcium carbonate clinical result: There was an insignificant level of data to justify one over the other. Ultimately, the decision of what to use is up to you  - to decide if cost or absorption is more important.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active