Post op Diet-- so bored

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/07 5:42 pm - New Delhi, India, India
My Dr is having me go on the following:

2 weeks clear liquid
2 weeks think liquid
2 weeks soft food

I'm 6 days post-op and bored with what i can have. Can you all make suggestions. I'm limited since I live in India and don't have exotic things like frozen popscicles. I've read others who are recently post-op and practically on to solid foods... they say that they can blenderize anything. I'm not prepared to do that, but would like to know what are the sane limits to this diet.

Ideas?
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/07 10:39 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Stick with your surgeon's guidelines, even though you may be bored.  A bit of boredom is worth it so your body has time to heal the changes to your gastrointestinal system.  Keep in mind that this is a relatively short period of time, all things considered, and that you will be back on soft foods in just a few weeks.   Good luck on your continuing journey -  Kellie
JeanneB_RD
on 10/11/07 6:48 am
Dear Bored,  Kellie really said it best. It may seem boring and drastic, however your body does need to heal and learn how to handle food all over again. Try to be patient and give it some time.  Try to change flavors of things where you can. For example, beef, chicken and vegetable broth.  It does sound like your shopping is limited, so maybe trying different markets will help w/ variety or possibly ordering some things via the internet?  Good luck and take care!  Jeanne
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/07 2:28 pm - New Delhi, India, India
Problem is that I have limitations as i live in India... Was hoping that blending some veges in my broth might add the variation...

But, okay.. will live with this.

The other problems is meds... I'm taking tons of meds...
10 to be exact, two of which are antibiotics. There's nothing in my stomach but clear liquids to nutralize these... So, I'm getting acid indegestion all day. I'm very very uncomfortable... The Dr here says i have to take them.

People have advised to take with skim milk blended with bread... I'm tempted, but it's not a clear liquid.

I know i'm obsessing to much about this. Advice would help... My doctor is too busy and the nutritionists say to do what the doctor says.

Thanks,
Veronica
ravingredhead
on 10/11/07 1:00 pm
how about frozen icecubes of crystal light or a similar sugar free drink to suck? canned soybeans taste great if you simmer them in some skim milk till soft, add splenda and blend them into a pudding  or you can simmer with cloves of garlic, a little salt in the oven on low heat , covering them with any kind of broth until they are tender and mushy 
JeanneB_RD
on 10/12/07 1:02 am
Hi Veronica,  Have you tried any antacids? That might be helpful.
Jeanne Barnett, RD
Registered Dietitian, Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
Most Active