biotin absorbtion

Jodi W
on 10/10/07 3:50 am - SIMI VALLEY, CA

Hi Again, I have a guestion about Biotin for hair loss.  Now with Calcium our bodies absorb only 500mg at a time. Does that hold true with Biotin also or can we take 1000 to 5000mcg at one time? Thank you in advance for any and all information. ((( BIG HUGS ))) JODI

DanielleH_RD
on 10/10/07 1:44 pm - CA
Your body produces biotin. Well, the bacteria in your intestines produce it. I know everyone loves to supplement it for hair loss, but there's no data out there to support it.  There are studies that show biotin deficiency causing hair loss, but none showing hair re-growth with biotin supplementation.  So far, malabsorption caused by WLS has not been identified as a cause of biotin deficiency and subsequent hair loss (that doesn't mean they are not related, but the data isn't there).  In one study, biotin did make fingernails 25% thicker. That said, Your body absorbs biotin from food, recycles it, absorbs it from your gut bacteria (in the colon).  It is a necessary nutrient, but your body has many mechanisms for absorbing it.  Pharmacological doses are 1-10 mg (1000-10,000 mcg) for 2 weeks.  Toxicity has not been reported even at doses of 200 mg. Usual intake from food is around 65 mcg.  At high doses (1 mg), urinary excretion of biotin increases 50% - which means if you have healthy kidneys you should be able to get rid of the excess and the excess will be wasted. The bottom line: Higher doses appear safe if your kidney function is normal.  If you take more than you need, you will create more expensive urine... I hope this helps you decide what's best for you.
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Jodi W
on 10/10/07 9:19 pm - SIMI VALLEY, CA
Danielle  That puts it out there in black and white for me. Even I understood that. Some times trying to understand our dr's makes it more confusing then it is. I am so glad I happened upon this forum. Thank you so very much for you advice and knowledge. I love the expensive urine.   You couldn't be more plain then that. Take care and Have a terrific day

Hearts JODI    Hearts                 

Most Active