HIGH PROTEIN /LOW CARB BEANS???

JACKIESMOM
on 10/10/07 8:04 am - FL
I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT BEANS/LEGUMES ARE SAFE TO EAT AFTER RNY. I AM A VEGETARIAN AND MY NUT SAID NO BEANS/HUMMUS/LEGUMES FOR A WHILE AFTER SURGERY BUT I WILL NOT MAKE IT ON EGGS AND TOFU ALONE. EVEN IF SOMEONE HAS A GOOD TOFU RECIPE(NOT MUSHY), I WILL TAKE ANYTHING. THANK YOU

01mommy
on 10/10/07 10:35 am

I wonder why she would tell you that knowing you're a vegetarian, that doesn't seem to make much sense since you don't each dense protein?  Hummus and fat-free refried beans would be great once you get on soft foods (minus the pita bread, of course).  Here are a few of my faves:

SW Omelette:  Egg beaters w/ 1T canned black beans and shredded mexican-style cheese.  Top w/ salsa and dig in!

Southern-style Beans:  Lima beans or black-eye peas soaked overnight.  Use Spice Classics brand Greens Seasoning to season cooking water to taste

For SUPER FIRM tofu:  I buy the large tub of firm tofu from the Asian market, drain it, wrap in plastic, and freeze.  It takes no time to thaw and gets even chewier after freezing!  Tastes great in those sauces I also buy from the Asian market.

JACKIESMOM
on 10/10/07 11:37 am - FL
THANKS, HOW DO YOU COOK THE TOFU? I HAVE ONLY HAD ITR IN A RESTARAUNT. WHERE CAN I BUT FAT-FREE BEANS. THOSE ALL SOUND GOOD. I LOVE HUMMUS(MINUS THE PITA BREAD,OF COURSE) I JUST REALLY FELD DISCOURAGED AFTER MEETING WITH HER AND FELT THAT IF I SWAYED FROM EGGS AND TOFU,I WOULD GAIN WEIGHT. THANK YOU SO MUCH

~~Sami~~ *.
on 10/11/07 7:18 am, edited 10/11/07 7:20 am - Jacksonville, FL
All beans are fat-free usually... either dried or canned.  The only kind that usually has fat added are the refried beans... and you can find fat-free versions of them. You will not gain weight if you eat beans, puh-lease.  Beans are extremely healthful... contain protein and fiber... which you'll need for bowel health.  Beans have a low to medium glycemic load... which is wonderful.  I'd go to the Vegetarian Times website and search for recipes. I love lentil soup.  Here's my recipe... it's made with red/orange lentils, which you can find in most healthfood stores and Indo-Pak and MIddle Eastern food stores, as well as some grocery stores. I've varied the ingredients... sometimes I have celery, sometimes I don't... sometimes I use stock made from Knorr bouillion cubes... sometimes I use fresh... etc. It always seems to turn out well. For more bean and tofu recipes, try: http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/recipes/basic-beans.php If you want to do anythign with Tortillas, there are low-carb tortillas on the market. 1 large onion, chopped 3 T olive oil 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed 1 - 1-1/2 tsp cumin 1 - 1-1/2 tsp ground coriander 1 3/4 red lentils 1 stick of celery w/ leaves 1 carrot finely chopped 2 Quarts Chicken Stock or Veggie Stock (I use the Swanson giant cardboard container... but I've made this with bouillion cubes before, homemade as well) Salt & Pepper Sautee the onion in the olive oil in large saucepan until soft, but not browned. Add garlic, cumin, and coriander. Stir and saute for a minute or two. Add the lentils, celery, and carrot... saute for a minute, then add the stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 30-45 minutes until the lentils have disintegrated. Add salt and pepper to taste. At this point, I like to puree it with an immersion blender... but you don't have to. You may need to add some more stock/water at this point (or when reheating) if it's too thick. DH's likes to squeeze in a bit of lemon when he eats it. I'm usually too lazy to do that.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

DanielleH_RD
on 10/10/07 1:55 pm - CA
A lot of recipe websites have fantastic recipes for tofu - go surfing! Freezing the tofu works great!  You can crumble it and use it like scrambled eggs. Slicing it and baking it also works.  I slice it into small cubes 1x1" and spread it out on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.  It improves the texture and helps it hold together when I mix it into other items like stir-fry. You can also use commercial products like boca burgers.  They are versatile - season & crumble to make "tacos" (or lettuce wraps) or any other recipe you would use ground beef. (You can also buy veggie "beef" if you have a store with a good vegetarian section) Every vegetarian cook has to do a little experimenting to find their favorite items. Happy Hunting!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

JACKIESMOM
on 10/11/07 10:18 am - FL
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TEMPH IS??

Purple Passion
on 10/11/07 11:25 am - Little Falls, NJ
RNY on 08/06/07 with
Tempeh is a fermented soy cake. It's an Indonesian product. I love it. It's one of my favorites. The way we make it is cut it up into smallish pieces and fry using a tiny bit of olive oil. Cut up some nori and throw that in the pan and saute a bit. Season with salt and pepper. Yummo!

You can find lots of veggie recipes at vegweb.com

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

JACKIESMOM
on 10/11/07 11:13 pm - FL
I AM SORRY TO SEEN=M SO IGNORANT BUT WHAT IS NORI AND WHERE DO YOU BUY TEMPEH?

Purple Passion
on 10/12/07 1:05 am - Little Falls, NJ
RNY on 08/06/07 with
Not ignorant at all! This is how we learn about new things.

I buy my Tempeh at Whole Foods. Any natural food store should carry it. It would be where they keep the tofu.

Nori is a mild sea vegetable. Sea vegetables are great for the minerals they provide. Nori is what they use to roll sushi.

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

JACKIESMOM
on 10/12/07 1:09 am - FL
I have a whole foods near me that I need to go and explore. I should taste test before. I had teriaki tofu from this asian plece i like but the trriaki sauce prob has suger? it is cooked really thin and crisp. it is the only tofu i ever had and liked.

Most Active