Clarification about hair loss

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/07 5:01 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Does anyone know which of the following is the reason we lose hair after WLS... 1.  Anesthetic during surgery 2.  Rapid weight loss 3.  Lack of nutrients (due to malabsorption or reduced calories) Thanks, Chickita
Robin W.
on 10/9/07 10:47 pm - Franklin, OH
I was told a lot has to do with the anesthetic. That is why we are told to sip/drink a lot to wash out/flush out from your system.  I was also told to keep the protien up because our bodies are using what we have to help us heal after surgery.  I never any hair loss after surgery.   Robin

4'10" - 47 I'm short but not petite and I will weigh more than a 5th grader
Start weight 220 
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"  Dr. Seuss

DanielleH_RD
on 10/10/07 12:46 am - CA

All three are causes

as well as, metabolic stress (complicated by the healing process post-op), hormone changes associated with weight loss, and inflammatory processes that change your immune system post-op. regards,

Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/07 12:34 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the feedback.  I guess there's not much I can do but take my biotin, get in my nutrients and keep my fingers crossed! Chickita
GraceUtah
on 10/11/07 12:34 am

Just wanted to add people who go on a diet w/o surgery thus no anesthetic can lose their hair.  I went from 256 to 200 and my bathroom looked like a horror movie. So I vote for #2.  I was taking tons of vitamins so I don't see how it could be #3...but maybe more than 3x the USDA recommended allowance wasn't enough.

Most Active