Question about Protien Shakes

rgill
on 10/9/07 12:07 pm - GA
I am one week post op (lap band), and I can't tolerate any of the protein shakes I have tried.  I have tried 4 different name brands and I just can't get any of them down.  Are there any suggestions as to a name brand or something that doesn't have  a chalky taste?  I have tried Whey, Unjury, Slim Fast, and  First Fitness.  Please let me know! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
DanielleH_RD
on 10/9/07 1:06 pm - CA
Have you looked at the product reviews on the lower left hand column of this page?  Might give you some critiques of products you may not have encountered. regards,
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

MCC-TX
on 10/11/07 11:39 pm - Austin, TX
I did not like any of the "over the counter" shakes.  I go to a local smoothie store near my house and get one from there - and there are MANY different kinds of smoothies to try.  Just make sure you are getting one that is high protein and low carb.  You will need to experiment - but I have found smoothies to be the only sort of protein shake that I like and can drink on a regular basis.  Good luck.  MC
kerdeeya
on 10/18/07 6:03 am - McAllen, TX
I'm a little late posting, but I wanted to share what I have learned in the last 10 months. Looking at the list you gave in your post, I can sympathize. Here are two of my favorites... Isopure  - absolutely wonderful! this protein is very good, blends well and has virtually not chalky taste. It blends best if you use room temp liquids and pour the powder into the liquid vs. the liquid into the powder. It is expensive, but worth it.  Here is my breakfast shake recipe: 1 scoop french vanilla Isopure 2 spoonfuls Decaf/Sugar Free French Vanilla International Coffee powder 4 oz unflavored Silk Soy milk OR water - I like it thick because the ice will thin it out a bit. Blend until smooth and pour over ice. If you don't like coffee flavored drinks, you could use a sugar free chocolate syrup. Check with your nut before you introduce fruit into your diet though - which is also good. I use 1/2 banana and a few frozen strawberries.  Nectar  - this protein mixes clear and comes in wonderful fruit flavors. It's not a creamy/milk type consistency - very refreshing. The best way to blend it is with Crystal lite drinks. Because it comes in different flavors, you can mix and match with the CL to get some great combinations. My favorite is Fuzzy Navel Nectar with Classic Orange Crystal Lite. Others swear by the Tea flavored Nectar and Lemonade Crystal Lite. You can get the idea.  Good Luck and hang in there - this will get easier as you come along... - Kerdeeya
UNJURY
on 11/1/07 12:13 am - Sterling, VA
Hi rgill To help you figure this out... What have you been milking each of these with -- what kinds of recipes? And could I ask you to talk a little more about the symptoms?  Is it nausea, gas....? Thanks! Jerome UNJURY Protein
dlecia05
on 11/8/07 11:36 pm - Sylacauga, AL
I"m close to the end of being two weeks post-op. I got some lactose free soy milk (vanilla flavored) and I used that with Carnation Instant Breakfast. I didn't want to try my 2% milk in case it gave me gas (which I'm still trying to get rid of!!!) Hope you find something you can tolerate!!!

Pre-admission testing: 261
First goal: 185
Second goal: 180
Third goal:  178

Most Active