B12 Patch?

Huey
on 10/9/07 2:21 am - KATY, TX
My B12 levels were low and I take both pills and sublinges.  My PCP does not prescribe shots so I was wondering if anyone know anything about the patch.  Also I am considering ordering B12 shots online from Canada - anyone had any luck with it?   Thanks! Valerie :)
DanielleH_RD
on 10/10/07 1:18 am - CA
The patch is relatively new and most of us don't have a lot of experience with it.  B12 is an important nutrient, but deficiency detection is not always straightforward.   In B12 defieciency, your MCV and MCH will be elevated and your serum folate will be increased.  Many people supplement their B12, but serum B12 can also be decreased with a low folate level.  Anemias are not as straightforward as other conditions unfortunately. Do you take folate?  Has your PCP evaluated your MCV & MCH (they are usually on a typical CBC study). In the studies that I found on the patch (1 study) there was a very small group (6 people) - you need at least 10 people to get any statistical significance.  It appears to be a well tolerated supplement.  I don't know that it would cause any harm, unless you are allergic to the adhesives.  I know the manufacturers are sure that the b12 is able to pass transdermally (through the skin), but I would be interested to find out if there are variations in this - if a person say, takes a shower every day. In my opinion, I would like to see more research before I recommend it.  I also don't see any glaring danger in giving it a try. regards,
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

sarard
on 10/10/07 11:57 pm - Costa Mesa, CA

In addition, I'd ask your PCP why he or she does not prescribe injections of B12 -- will he or she give them to you in his or her office?  Intermuscular injection is the best way to get B12 - Maybe your surgeon will give you the injections or the prescription?  Your deficiency needs to be treated.

Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active