Sugar FREE Yogurt

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/07 2:34 am - Prosper, TX
I was told thatI could only have sugar free yogurt.  does this mean -0-  "sugars" listed?    I can only find yogurts that have 2 or 3 sugars in them  Not completely -0- sugars Or is this the yogurt that is sweentend with spenda?  What brands does anyone recommend? thanks  Melissa
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/07 3:07 am - Los Angeles, CA
MIlk naturally has sugars, so no yogurt can be completely sugar free. My yogurts have 8 grams of sugar in them. But the lower the better!
MelaniaB_RD
on 10/8/07 8:09 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Melissa, The FDA definition of "sugar-free" means there is <0.5 grams of sugar in the product.  Sugar-free yogurts are artificially sweetened most commonly with Splenda or Nutrasweet which qualifies them as "sugar-free".  Since milk naturally contains carbohydrate, there will always be carbs listed on the label of yogurt, milk and all dairy products.  I would also make sure that the yogurt is fat-free. Now on to the brands...this is a matter of personal preference in terms of taste but the majority of my patients love Yoplait (with the blue top not the red top), sugar-free Dannon and there are countless others.   I would try your favorite flavors of the sugar-free, fat-free yogurts and go from there.   Happy tasting!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
(deactivated member)
on 10/9/07 10:05 pm - Prosper, TX
Thanks so much for the clarification on this.  I have heard some nightmare stories about sugar and "dumping".  I am being very proactive about everything.  Thanks again
Most Active