How long before protein powder breaks down ??

ginau
on 10/7/07 12:25 pm - mesa, AZ
 I keep seeing recipes that you add protein powder to. But I remember being told to drink your shakes within 30 min because the protein starts breaking down .  So my question is  does it break down ? how can it benefite me to add protein powde to recipes if it's going to break down that quickly ?
MelaniaB_RD
on 10/7/07 2:40 pm - Costa Mesa, CA

Protein digestion begins in the stomach when pepsin (an enzyme) begins to break the protein down into smaller components.  The contents of the stomach then pass into the small intestine where enzymes from the pancreas begin to act to further break down the protein.  Ultimately, the protein is broken down into amino acids (the building blocks of protein) and transported into the cells. The amino acids that are released from proteins during turnover are then used to make new proteins or for energy generation.   So in answer to your question, the protein powder that you add into your shakes or other items will not be broken down before you ingest them.   Hope this clears up that myth!

Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
ginau
on 10/7/07 4:59 pm - mesa, AZ
Sorry but no it didnt !  so when you mix it - how long before you ingestit does it start to break down , your answermade it sound like it does not till you ingest it  Your answer sounded very canned! / textbook.
Maya The Tortoise
on 10/8/07 1:30 am - VA
RNY on 08/14/07 with
I agree. I read your question as how long will Protein Powder stay intact in a recipe or even in a shake before you "consume" it.  Right? And I wonder this myself as I want to make a bottle full of protein shake and keep it in the fridge as I dont have time to keep doing a new one each time.  The above didnt answer it for me either. Maya

DanielleH_RD
on 10/8/07 6:28 am - CA
Well then let me jump in. The protein powder you are mixing has long chains of amino acids joined together to form a protein.  The long chain might have a name like "whey" or "casein" which describes the specific characteristics of that protein.   So you mix your protein into milk or water or juice and form a solution.  Now in technical terms, a solution is molecules of "something" mixed into another "something" which is usually liquid.  The molecules of protein are stirred in to your milk (or water or juice) and over time (sitting there in the glass) they (the protein molecules) can be changed by the solution.  In the case of proteins, the large molecules can be broken down into smaller molecules - but here's the rub... Your body doesn't care! If the big protein molecule is broken down a little in your glass, the total amino acid profile remains the same.  In fact, the body doesn't have to work as hard to metabolize proteins that are already a little broken down.  Your body uses the amino acids to make new proteins.  It doesn't matter if the protein started as soy, whey, or casein - your body uses the amino acids that make up these larger proteins to meet the protein needs of your body.  This is why we recommend using protein sources that have all of the essential amino acids - your body cares about the quality of the protein in so much as it requires specific amino acids to form necessary proteins in your body.  If you don't have enough of a given amino acid, then your body can't form all of the proteins it is supposed to. When you drink your protein drink - the protein follows a path of digestion that starts with stomach acid "denaturing" the protein a little (it changes the shape of some of the protein chains by rearranging them), then in the small intestine your protein will encounter enzymes that break the big protein molecules into little protein molecules, then farther down the line that protein will be taken up by the intestinal cells to travel to the liver for final metabolism.   Clinically, proteins that are slightly broken down are easier to digest - in fact they are better absorbed than free amino acids. So put to rest the myth that your "broken" proteins are somehow bad for you or not as good as the whole protein.  Your body cares about the amino acids - and that's it! Now, the one thing that CAN change with the protein broken down is the taste.  Anyone who has tried to use free amino acids to supplement their diet can attest to that - they are stinky and yucky tasting (technical terms again...) So here's my question to everyone passing along the myth that "broken" protein isn't as good for you - WHY NOT?? I look forward to any answers (and require data if you want me to believe you!)
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

ginau
on 10/8/07 11:35 am - mesa, AZ

Danielle

Now that was the answer I was looking for !! I was worried that it would loose all its good efforts , I started using sf pudding w/ mild and adding protein powder to boost it nutritionaly !

There is a 5 day pouch reset  that calls to be premade !! Now that I knwo it will be safe -- I am going to go and mix it up !!

thanks again !!! 

Most Active