? about maintaining...

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/07 4:41 am
I am a year out and very happily at goal. I have been playing around a bit with what is the best amount of food to eat to maintain and have found that around 2000 calories a day will do it. If I go lower I tend to continue to lose. I work out tons, so i know that has something to do with it. However, since I am only a year out, I know that my absorption rate is higher now than it will be a year from now. Is it normal to need to lower the calorie intake at that time? In other words, will I need to adjust again in a year to continue to maintain? I was just curious about this and thought I would throw it out and see what answers I get. Thanks! Pam
MelaniaB_RD
on 10/7/07 8:21 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Congratulations on attaining your goal!  If you have found that 2000 calories per day maintains your desired weight with physical activity, I would continue this.  There is no blanket rule regarding a specific caloric intake at specific time intervals, i.e. 1 year, 2 years, etc.).  If in the future you decrease your physical activity, say due to illness or injury, 2000 calories per day may contribute to a slow weight gain.  I would continue to do what works for you now and adjust your caloric intake as needed.   Best of luck!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
(deactivated member)
on 10/9/07 8:40 am
Thanks Melanie, I appreciate the info. It's been a wild (but fun!) ride so far and I feel like I have to run to catch up! I'll just keep an eye on how I'm doing and go from there.
Most Active