Vitamins

lisa C.
on 10/4/07 10:07 pm - TX
Could you tell me how may mgs or mcgs of each vitamin you should be getting in a day post op?

LISA C.  

DanielleH_RD
on 10/5/07 9:39 am - CA
I know you don't want me to go down the list on your vitamin bottle... If you want to find Recommended Daily Intakes (RDI) of vits, please look that up separately.  It is a long list and includes a lot of micronutrients that you will never count in your daily intake. I will gladly discuss the biggies of WLS - note that each procedure causes different deficiencies and the specific nuances of each surgeon's technique cannot possibly be covered. Here are the recommendations I have gathered. If they are different from what your doctor identified, talk to him/her before following this guide. B12 (RDI  2-4 mcg per day) due to changes in gastric acidity and intrinsic factor production recs can go as high as 500-600 mcg per day.  Oral supplements usually provide 350 mcg. and are recommended for 1-2 per day.  Sprays are usually 500 mcg per week. Folate rec 1 mg per day.  most supplements are 400-800 mcg each.  B12 deficiency and folate deficiency are inter-related.  If you supplement one, you should supplement the other. Iron (Fe) ( RDI 10-15 mg per day - elemental) recs must be translated into the various forms of iron that are out there to evaluate amount of elemental iron.  Generally if your labs are coming back low, it is recommended to get 65 mg elemental iron each day - that would be 200 mg 3x per day of Feosol. Calcium (Ca) (RDI 1000-1200 for females).  With RYGB expect a 30-40% malabsorption rate so needs go up to 1500-2000 mg per day. Thiamine - a B vitamin, usually included in your multi.  Need 10 mg per day if by mouth.  With deficiency, usually an IV dose will be administered over a few days. Fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E,K) deficiency common with biliopancreatic and duodenal switch - amount of supplementation usually recommended by doctor, and often recommend at least one daily of water soluble ADEK supplement. Hey Sara - did I miss any?
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

MelaniaB_RD
on 10/7/07 8:15 am - Costa Mesa, CA

You didn't miss any that I can see!

Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
sarard
on 10/7/07 10:09 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Hi -  Looks good to me -- I usually tell women to shoot for the higher dose of calcium and iron.   And, if B12 is by injection, it's usually recommended every 1-3 months.   :)
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active