Cholesterol numbers

Ruby R.
on 10/3/07 4:38 am
Total  189 Triqlycerides  89 HDL  72 H VLDL Cholesterol Cal  18 LDL Cholesterol Calc   99 LDL/HDL ratio  1.4 Somebody, please explain to me.  I am surprised my Total is so high.  i know this is not bad, just wonder what it means.  I eat so little.  I know HDL is high, but what does that mean.  Patricia rny 3/2005 262/130 
DanielleH_RD
on 10/3/07 1:03 pm - CA
Were these fasting tests? Were the measures for LDL and HDL calculated? In brief, cholesterol are transporters in your body as well as structural compounds for cells and body chemicals such as hormones.  The levels of some of these fractions are very transient.  If the numbers are calculated, there can be a lot of variation. Overall your total cholesterol is under 200, which is good.  The standard goal is to have your LDL low and your HDL above 50.  This is why calculated measures are not very useful. Let us know the answers to the above questions to be more specific. Thanks!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

Most Active