So How Much RU Drinking NOW? Update of OH intake...

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/07 10:11 am
Hi, Everyone!  Here's a brief update on OH members daily water intake.  I was one of the lowest at about 48 oz, but now I'm upping my water to 68 oz ...with higher amounts after that goal.  It seems that the minimum amount that members drank was 60 oz, average was 100-120 oz, and high levels (up to 1.5 Gal plus 90 oz other liquids) were associated with intense exercise.  OH members increase their intake according to the heat indicator also.  There was no direct link between months post-op and quantity.  One member was about 3 weeks out and another was 8 years post-op.  There was a wide range for the "over 100 oz " level even in the early months for some members.   Some members counted water only; others included other liquids and ice pops. I was very happy to be given the following easy-to-remember water tip: 6 mo---------64 oz (minimum health) 8 mo---------80 oz (moderate activity) 10 mo------100 oz 12 mo+----120 oz - 150 oz I'd like to thank you for being so supportive, as I was pretty certain that at 10 month post-op, I was not meeting my water need (dry-tongue with water craving in early AM hours; 1 time dizzy).   Ro
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/07 10:17 am

Hi, eNutrition Team!  I am very pleased that so many members gave me good tips and info.  Their intake levels and your earlier response about dehydration has motivated me to drink up.  I look forward to your suggestions to the update!  Thanks.... Ro

MelaniaB_RD
on 10/2/07 2:03 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Ro, Fluid requirements depend on MANY factors including your personal medical history, amount & duration of exercise done, outside temperature, fever, stress or illness.  When we as RD's calculate fluid needs for patients, generally healthy adults are calculated at 40 cc/Kg.  For example a person who weighs 150 lbs or 68 Kg x 40 cc/Kg = 2727 cc fluid per day/240 cc in an 8-oz cup = 11.3 cups per day or 90 ounces per day.   I think this is a more accurate way of determining fluid needs versus a blanket number of ounces for everyone based on how far out a person is post-operatively.   That's just my two cents!
Melania Behrens, MA, RD
President, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/07 2:54 pm
Hi, Melania!   Thanks for the water calculation info.  I am going to do the number now and also talk with my Nutritionist next week.  I feel much better since I've added another bottle of water and my body seems to be adjusting too.  The one-size fits all thinking that I've been looking for doesn't consider all of the variables that you mentioned.  Do vitamin and mineral deficiencies also become variables?   I will be discussing my levels after Labs with my Nutritionist.  I have a lot of confidence in the info that he has given me and am also glad to have your group involved on OH.  Just in case you want an example of a deficiency problem... here's mine!  "OH" (pun intended), You had to see that one coming!  LOL       Any help is appreciated.      I have been taking K-DUR 20 twice daily for 6+ months; three doses months 1-3, after 2 IV packets in potassium chloride.  My problem with potassium seems to have be caused by a pre-op BP Rx combo that I was taking prior to RNY surgery in Dec. 2006. Ro
Most Active