Post Op bloating

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/07 3:52 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hi:  I am 5 days post op and experiencing a lot of gas.  I don't think it's from the gas pumped into our bodies during surgery because I didn't get it till the fourth day out and I am contantly burping (and tooting).  My stomach looks big and I hear girgling and I get new gas every time I eat or even take a sip of water.   I'm confused... how can that tiny pouch generate so much gas?  Could the gas possibly be in the old stomach?  Any ideas would be appreciated. Chickita
DanielleH_RD
on 10/1/07 1:18 pm - CA
Your intestines just went through a major ordeal.  You have probably taken medications for pain in addition to the surgical anaesthesia which slow your intestines to a crawl. Your pouch isn't creating the gas - it's either already in there, being generated by the bacteria that naturally live in your gut, or maybe you are swallowing air (your ability to burp has been changed with the creation of the pouch) It should dissipate soon.  If it is causing you discomfort, call your doctor, they may suggest you take a medication with simethicone to reduce the gas (like Maalox).  If it gets really severe or painful - call your doctor. Good luck!
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/07 1:32 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Danielle:   Thanks so much for your reply.  Also for your response to another poster regarding water - that was really helpful! Chickita
Most Active