Organic Shelled Hempseed - help

mariamahoa
on 9/27/07 8:15 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 08/23/07 with
I have been eating hempseed because of the high protein.  I am concerned about the high fat as I am trying to stay within 30 g per day.  Is anything subtracted in the fat grams due to the hight Omega?  Is this something I should be staying away from.   The Nutrition facts state: 3 tbs = 174 calories Total Fat 13.5g     saturated fat 1g     trans fat 0g  Total Carb 2.g    dietary fiber 1 g    sugars less than 1 g Protein 11 G Cholesterol 0 Sodium 0 Omegas per 3 tbsp    7.5g Omega -6 LA    3.0g Omega -3 LA    .6g Super Omega -6 GLA    .3g Super Omega-3 SDA Appreciate your comments.  Thanks Gale

HW 238 SW 215 GW 140
or lower 5'6"
DanielleH_RD
on 9/28/07 2:52 am - CA
My first question is how do you eat it? Do you mix it into a shake or sprinkle it on food? Do you grind it? Fat is calories, whether from good fat or bad fat.  If weight loss is your goal, then you have to pay attention to the total calories in (what you eat) versus the total calories out (exercise/activity). So, unfortunately no credit for good fat.  Also consider that this food is 70% fat. Any food that can be pressed and made into an oil will be higher in fat in it's unprocessed form. (Vegetable oils are made from a different process - I'm talking about nuts, olives and other things that are manually 'pressed' to render oil).  This doesn't mean that these are bad foods, it just means that they are higher fat foods - and this should be taken into consideration as you plan you diet.  You add a high fat food and you counter it with a low or non-fat food.  My best example - salad with a vinaigrette dressing.  The greens are fat free, the tomato is fat free, the cucumber is fat free, but the dressing is a mixture of oil and vinegar and probably 50% fat.  Put it all together and you still have a lowfat meal because the total calories contributed from fat are less than 30% of the total calories - get it? You can get other good protein sources, including desireable Omega 3 fatty acids in fatty fish (mackerel, salmon, herring, sardines).  Salmon has 136 kcals in 3 oz portion, 18 g protein, and 7 g fat.  You can also get a benefit from your inake of Omega 3 fats by reducing your intake of Omega 6 fatty acids.  These two compete in your body - less omega 6s means more benefit from Omega 3s.  You can do this by reducing added vegetable oils (corn, safflower, sesame, sunflower, soybean) in foods or your intake of chicken fat. It's not often that people are able to stick with such an exotic seed.  And this question requires me to ask you your rationale for focusing on your Omegas. Hopefully I hit on what you were getting at.  If not, please let me know. regards,
Danielle Halewijn, RD,CNSD
Director of Nutrition, eNutritionCare.com
eNutritionCare.com
http://www.enutritioncare.com
DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general nutrition advice. Please consult your Registered Dietitian about your specific problem!

mariamahoa
on 9/28/07 3:21 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 08/23/07 with
Thanks for your reply Danielle,  I have been eating them straight.  Only about 3 tblsp every other day.  They are very soft, and a quick source of protein.  I wasn't necessarily focusing on Omegas it was more the protein.  I like them but now realize they are too high in fat.  I do not like seafood so that is out of the question and as I am in week 5 of my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy I have not been using vegetable oils.  Thanks for clearing up my question.   Cheers, Gale.   

HW 238 SW 215 GW 140
or lower 5'6"
Most Active