Am I going to have a problem post op eating? Question for the Dietician

ReneeW
on 9/26/07 2:55 pm - IL
Hello, I am on a Gluten Free diet. Now at my surgeons office the nurse seems to think that means no carbs. Yes, she is partly right, but eating Gluten Free is more than just carbs. It is ingrediants and it is in many things including lunchmeat. There is a lot of things one on a Gluten Free diet can't eat. Which a lot of is prepared foods, take out food, most things I eat are home cooked as I know they will not be contaminated. I see a lot of people eating chili, lunchmeat, etc. after surgery. I am wondering what my choices are going to be. I haven't gotten to ask the surgeon yet, as I just finished the 6 month diet. Just waiting to get my letters together to give them to submit my file.
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/07 2:20 am
There is a Gluten Free, High Protein snack and cereal company that is called Kay's Naturals.  There web page is www.kaysnaturals.com . I don't have celiac dis. but I cook with there protein chips all the time to bread fish and chicken.  Check it out I think you will like um Good luck
sarard
on 9/28/07 3:06 am - Costa Mesa, CA
Post operative eating may pose a challenge for you since your options are limited; however, your daily eating at this time can also be a challenge for you. You know how to eat on a Gluten Free diet, right? Your surgeon will give you your WLS diet restictions as well. You may have to be more creative than others in your meal planning. I would recommend that you wait until you get your surgeon's WLS guidelines. Then, if you have questions on how to make them happen while eating Gluten Free, post specific questions here - one of our dietitians (Melania) is an expert in Celiac's Disease. Unfortuntely, every surgeon wants you to eat to eat a bit differently. So, I think we can help you more if we know exactly what is required from your surgeon. Sorry I can't help more at this time.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active